Director/Senior Director, Advocacy
The Plant Based Foods Association (PBFA), the trade association representing the plant-based food industry with over 180 member companies, is seeking a Director/Senior Director, Advocacy, to coordinate the association’s work on federal and state advocacy. The position will require a combination of skill sets, including but not limited to direct lobbying, understanding and deploying advocacy tools, management of advocacy consultants and legal teams, strategic planning and policy development, and coordination with members and other stakeholders at the federal and state level.
PBFA is leading the way in developing a level playing field for plant-based food companies to compete and grow in the marketplace, advocating at the state and federal level for policies that promote plant-based foods, remove hurdles to growth, and defend against unfair competition.
The Director/Senior Director, Advocacy will be responsible for:
- Working with PBFA’s CEO, staff team, Board of Directors, Policy Committee, consultants, and members to develop the association’s advocacy strategy for building and achieving policy goals to both grow and safeguard the plant-based foods industry.
- Implementing advocacy tools, including grassroots calls to action, to enhance the reach of the association on state and federal policy action.
- Overseeing PBFA’s external consultants on policy and lobbying at the federal and state level.
- Representing PBFA before federal and state legislative and regulatory bodies, including developing and delivering testimony, direct lobbying, and attending policy-focused events and/or providing background and preparation for other PBFA leaders and consultants to do the same.
- Coordinating PBFA’s work with legal advisors and partners on litigation strategies and tactics.
- Working with PBFA’s communications team to employ strategic communications tactics to advance policy objectives, including writing, interviews, and briefs.
- Representing PBFA at conferences and on panels related to plant-based food policy.
- Directing PBFA’s research consultants on agriculture, equity, and other ongoing and new projects to develop fact cases for PBFA’s policy work.
- Building alliances and cultivating support for shared goals with other trade associations and nonprofit organizations.
- Complying with all relevant federal and state lobbying rules, including registration and reporting, and overseeing consultants’ lobbying disclosures.
- Providing frequent updates on all active policy efforts to the internal PBFA team and board as well as externally to members and partner organizations.
The Director/Senior Director, Advocacy must have:
- A minimum of seven years of legislative, regulatory, and/or lobbying experience.
- Demonstrated success leading policy initiatives at the federal and/or state level.
- Substantial experience working with Congress and the Executive Branch, and ideally state legislative bodies.
- Experience with policy coalitions working to achieve shared objectives.
- An understanding of the federal budget, authorization, and appropriations processes.
- Effective communications skills for internal (team) and external (media, policymakers, industry stakeholders) audiences.
- The ability to think strategically and execute tactically using regulations, legal mechanisms, and legislation to advance PBFA’s policy goals at the federal and state level.
- A commitment to advancing the plant-based foods industry.
This is a full-time position. Must be able and willing to work remotely. Although virtual, Washington, DC area (DMV) preferred. Travel required (estimate up to 25%, up to 50% if based outside of DMV). Salary is dependent on experience; benefits include healthcare, retirement, plus PTO.
PBFA is actively committed to creating a diverse environment, and culture of inclusion where all team members feel valued and can contribute their experiences and perspectives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, PBFA does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class. For more info about PBFA, visit plantbasedfoods.org.
Applications will be reviewed beginning April 2021.
Job posted: 2021-03-16