Director/Senior Director, Regulatory Affairs
Full Job Description
Director/Senior Director, Regulatory Affairs
This position is a key policy and governmental affairs role reporting to ILTA’s President. The incumbent will serve as the staff executive of the Environment, Health, Safety and Security (EHSS) Committee and each of its three subcommittees. This important committee is a key source of policy positions and priorities for ILTA advocacy before the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) the U.S. Coast Guard, (USCG) the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) and other key regulatory bodies. As the staff lead on regulatory advocacy, the incumbent is responsible for informing membership on relevant Federal and State level policy developments affecting the tank and terminal industry, coordinating with affiliated industry groups, and building consensus with other stakeholders.
- Serve as staff executive for the Environment, Health, Safety, and Security (EHSS) Committee, comprised of regulatory compliance professionals at ILTA member companies.
- Regularly interface with EHSS committee/subcommittee chairs; plan committee agendas for three meetings annually; track action items directed by committees; and ensure appropriate follow-up actions are taken.
- Track, research, and analyze regulatory developments for potential member impacts and help develop ILTA responses to those developments.
- Engage with and advocate before key policy entities and coalitions and draft ILTA policy positions, comments, testimony, newsletter articles, and other communications in support of regulatory positions.
- Draft, compile, and disseminate compliance information pertaining to federal regulatory actions and information provided by regulators for industry stakeholders.
- Contribute to the identification of topics and speakers on regulatory topics for the annual conference, webinars, training, and other educational content provided to membership.
- Respond to inquiries from ILTA members on topics relating to regulatory issues.
- Update and maintain ILTA’s Regulatory Affairs web page and other regulatory content on the association’s website.
- Design and develop research projects as required.
- Maintain relationships with other stakeholder groups, including trade associations for related industries.
- Attend external stakeholder meetings and hearings as assigned.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- The successful candidate will be a well-respected professional with a strong record of success in achieving desirable regulatory policy outcomes.
- Previous experience working on policy issues related to environment, health and safety, and/or security issues is strongly preferred.
- Ability to cultivate a strong, well-organized committee process that emphasizes member input and engagement.
- Detail-oriented, conscientious, and dedicated to following through on tasks and assignments.
- Ability to understand and explain complex issues across various policy areas.
- Excellent written communication skills and the ability to articulate ILTA industry perspectives in official correspondence including letters, blog posts, and agency comments as needed.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a small team environment.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Minimum of five years prior work experience in government relations, policy, law, or related field is required.
- Previous association experience preferred.
Located in Arlington, Virginia, ILTA is the only trade association advocating exclusively on behalf of the terminal industry. Terminals are a vital component of our nation’s supply chain, providing critical logistics services that spur trade within the United States and connect the U.S. economy with overseas markets. Importers and exporters of liquid commodities — including fuels, industrial chemicals, and food-grade products — need terminals to connect them to their customers.
ILTA is a small, dynamic workplace with bright and talented individuals that work closely together to deliver high value to our member companies. ILTA team members have an opportunity to develop their skills, think creatively, and innovate along with the organization. As a small staff organization, ILTA supports a collaborative working environment and recognizes the importance of each position’s value in meeting organizational goals. This is a workplace that supports a healthy work/life balance. ILTA offers a competitive compensation package including health, dental, and life insurance; paid time off; 401(k) plan with match after one year of service; life and long-term disability insurance; and more.
Please note that ILTA is currently transitioning back to in-person work after being 100% remote beginning in March 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. As of September 2021, all team members will be permitted to work remotely up to two days per week with approval of their supervisor, provided that they are able to execute their job responsibilities while working remotely.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, and salary range.
Job posted: 2021-07-04