Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director/Senior Director, Strategic Communications
PCMA seeks a creative and highly motivated Director/Senior Director of Strategic Communications to work as a key member of the Strategic Communications team, focusing specifically on oversight and implementation of our state-based communications, media and coalition-building efforts, third-party stakeholder engagement and ally development strategies and the industry’s overall approach to messaging and content development. This person will serve as a project manager and on a number of high-priority external communications, public relations and media relations initiatives. The successful candidate will have excellent writing skills and be savvy in managing the details and logistics of communication initiatives involving PCMA leadership, Board members and media. Working knowledge of healthcare industry and hands-on media relations experience is required. He/she is an energetic, detail-oriented team player with excellent organization skills and a can-do attitude who has a demonstrated ability and comfort level performing within a fast-paced, high-stakes environment. The position will be based in Washington, DC and reports to the Senior Vice President of Strategic Communications.
- Develop and execute proactive state-based media relations strategy, thought leadership and grasstops strategy and work with State Affairs Team and agency partners to coordinate media interactions, ensuring spokespeople are carefully prepared and equipped with appropriate messaging.
- Serve as project coordinator of reputation-oriented programming and campaign work (to be informed by research), including ally development, value campaign, public affairs campaign and coalition work.
- Lead efforts to update and refresh PCMA brand and messaging, including development and maintenance of a Message and Brand Guide; Regularly revisit and, as necessary, refine key messages, corporate presentations, Q&A materials to ensure accuracy and reflect corporate messaging.
- Refresh and maintain all leave-behind materials for externally facing events, including Hill briefings and lobby days, as well as other thought leadership and networking events and programming.
- Coordinate with Communications, Federal, Regulatory, Policy and Research colleagues within PCMA to develop and execute long-term content strategy and editorial calendar, using research to guide audience-specific messaging and leveraging key legislative, Congressional, regulatory events and milestones.
- Oversee media training of executives and prepare all prep materials for interviews and backgrounder interactions with reporters.
- Support spokesperson and messaging preparation for high-profile lobby days and Hill briefings.
- Maintain contact management system for media relationships and DC-based ally development.
- Contribute to collegial team culture and provide back up to other sub-functions within Strategic Communications, including paid/earned media and social/digital media.
- 7-10 years communications experience with demonstrated success in leading media outreach and/or brand advocacy campaigns.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Demonstrated deep understanding of the healthcare industry and media landscape.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Project and campaign management experience.
- Strong executive presence and outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Superior presentation, education and meeting facilitation skills.
- Excellent follow-through, attention to detail and high sense of urgency.
- High energy, motivated and aggressive about getting results.
- Domestic travel up to 25%.
PCMA believes that organizational and employee success require a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce, and a culture that embraces and encourages different perspectives. We recognize the inherent value in employing a workforce with a range of experiences and it is our commitment to embrace every person’s uniqueness and to provide a professional work environment where everyone is welcome and treated with dignity and respect.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.
PCMA has adopted a hybrid work model that combines time in the office with greater remote work flexibility. PCMA offices are in the Penn Quarter area of Washington, D.C. PCMA offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Interested individuals should forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2022-10-29