Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Social Impact
About This Role
Strava is the world’s largest athletic community and the social platform at the center of connected fitness. With over 95 million athletes on Strava and 2 million more joining every month, we’re growing fast!
Our mission is to connect athletes to what motivates them and to help them realize their personal best through sport. To realize this mission, we are committed to having a positive social impact on the issues that we know directly impact our global community of athletes: climate change, environmental racism and lack of inclusion in sport. We care deeply about harnessing the collective power of sport as well as our community, team and technology to create lasting, positive impact in the world.
The Director of Social Impact will help chart the future of Social Impact at Strava by developing, leading and implementing an integrated social impact program embedded in Strava’s business strategy and grounded in a strong theory of change that leverages Strava’s unique strengths to create long-term impact for athletes and the planet.
You will set a clear vision, strategy and well-understood Social Impact priorities at Strava to integrate with our near and long-term business and brand vision. Within the Marketing team, reporting to the Sr. Director of Global Marketing for Key Markets & Social Impact, you’ll work cross-functionally across our entire organization to channel our employees’ and community’s collective energy and desire to advance a more equitable, just and sustainable world.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Build and lead Strava’s social impact strategy: Develop the goals, actions, budget, partnerships, assessment framework and other necessary resources used to enact and measure positive change that is systematic, sustainable, and innovative.
- Create a roadmap to bring our social impact strategy to life, articulating how we will embed social impact in our company practices, product and marketing, and lay the foundation for success
- Build alignment with key stakeholders across the company to ensure we are working towards the same goals, empowering teammates throughout the company to move on meeting target goals.
- Take inventory of how key issues are impacting the athletes Strava serves, align our goals, resources and actions to uniquely address these needs.
- Work across Marketing and Communication to develop an authentic voice and key messages, advising how Strava and Executive Leadership share our social impact work with the world.
- Collaborate with our People Team to create strategic alignment between DEI, antiracism initiatives, and social impact at Strava.
- Eventually, build and lead a Social Impact team that can deliver on Strava’s strategy as we scale.
We’re passionate about you because you:
- Are equally exceptional at building a vision and developing social impact strategy as you are at executing against that strategy with clear goals, actions and measures.
- Have a strong CSR, ESG or Social Impact background in social justice and environmental issues, as well as an eye for global and local trends that impact those issues.
- Bring proven success in building repeatable, scalable programs that use your company’s products, people and funding to help solve major social and environmental problems.
- Possess inspiring analytical and planning skills, including the ability to develop investment cases, be responsible for the development of impact metrics and assessment measures, set goals and identify gaps and opportunities related to new and existing projects and programs.
- Are a self-starter capable of independently tackling ambiguous problems, while delivering clarity and focus for your immediate team as well as executive team, board members and cross-functional partners.
- Have a fun, energizing growth mindset and are constantly updating your mental models to advance what’s effective and evolve what isn’t delivering the anticipated learnings or results.
Ideal Qualifications (We would like for you have):
- 10+ years of experience in CSR, ESG or Social Impact marketing roles with a brand, organization, agency or foundation.
- 3 to 5 years of managerial experience building and leading high functioning, impactful teams that work optimally across the organization to realize a central strategy.
In your cover letter, we would love to see (please include to complete your application):
- What specifically interests you about this opportunity, and Strava’s larger role in generating positive environmental and social change?
- What attributes do you have that would separate you from other candidates?
Strava is Swedish for “strive,” which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We’re a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world’s athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes’ days even better. And just as we’re deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we’re dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We’re backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we’re expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community – we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes’ lives — now more than ever. All to say, it’s a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-01