Director for State Advocacy
BSA The Software Alliance
Sacramento, CA; San Francisco, CA; Washington, DC
BSA | The Software Alliance is the leading advocate for the global software industry. BSA is currently seeking an experienced government relations professional to lead state-specific legislative efforts for the organization. In this new position, the individual will work with the Vice President to develop and execute an effective state advocacy strategy and program. They will represent BSA and its member companies before state legislatures and agencies and within relevant coalitions. The ability to monitor and provide concise, strategic advice to member companies is necessary. There will be significant travel. The ideal candidate has experience engaging with state legislators, their staffs and relevant agencies, is extremely organized, detail oriented and analytical. A strong understanding of the software industry, a history of working with coalitions, and experience working in data privacy and security are a plus. This position will report to the Vice President, Legislative Strategy and work closely the BSA policy team.
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Law or other relevant graduate degree a plus.
- Minimum 10-12 years’ relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate policy and strategy concepts in a concise and persuasive manner, both written and verbally.
- Strong interpersonal and engagement experience and skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data privacy and security issues.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results through events, written materials, and other projects.
- Experience working in state government is a plus.
- Politically savvy with relevant and established contacts and relationships.
- Experience working with diverse coalitions and ability to develop and facilitate strategy across a network of internal and external partners.
- Results driven, action-oriented self-starter.
- Ability to multitask, stay organized, meet commitments, deadlines and deliver results on time.
- Work closely with the VP, Legislative Strategy to develop strategy and goals for state lobbying program.
- Develop and execute legislative monitoring system to provide BSA member companies with concise and strategic information on what’s most important.
- Find opportunities and drive lobbying as appropriate to deliver legislative results on key topics in priority states.
- Maintain close relations with BSA member companies, including coordinating on policy positions and advocacy activity.
- Manage consultants/vendors including in different geographical locations.
- Serve as a BSA representative in targeted states on behalf of BSA and its member companies with state legislators and their staffs, including testifying where appropriate.
- Prepare relevant advocacy materials including one-pagers, testimony, et al.
- Organize and execute BSA member company events, including drive-ins and fly-ins.
- Use and develop relationships with other industry groups and organizations to build coalitions and partnerships to achieve goals.
- Build upon existing knowledge and understanding of the software industry and key issue areas of data privacy and security.
- Help ensure BSA member companies are active in discussing and formulating action plans to support BSA strategic goals and are kept abreast of ongoing initiatives and activities.
- Other work and projects as required or assigned.
About BSA Benefits:
BSA recognizes that benefits play an important role in your selection of an employer. We offer generous benefits including many unique benefits and perks to our employees in locations around the world and encourage everyone to live a healthy, balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include:
- Generous health, disability and life insurance
- Exceptional 401k plan employer contributions
- Year-end office shut down between Christmas and New Year’s
- Three weeks’ paid sabbatical every five years
- Generous paid maternity and bonding leave
- Emergency backup child care
- Health/Fitness and Financial/Tax Advice allowance
- Professional development, continuing education (including tuition reimbursement) and training
- Casual dress
- And much more!
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to
email@example.com. Include the position title and location in your Subject Line.
Job posted: 2019-11-06