Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, State Affairs
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Government Relations and Advocacy
SALARY: Salary is negotiable depending on experience
LOCATION: Medicaid Health Plans of America (MHPA) Headquartered in Washington,
D.C. (Remote Option Available)
JOB PURPOSE: In partnership with the Vice President of Government Relations and
Advocacy, the Director, State Affairsis responsible for the identification,
development, and management of strategic relationships at the state
level, with the purpose of advancing the Medicaid and managed care
priorities of MHPA. The State Affairs Director will serve as a nexus for
state-advocacy activities to ensure coordination and the sharing of bestpractices among MHPA’s member plans and other stakeholders as they
join us in advancing our priorities at the state level.
• Maintains, develops, and enhancesrelationships with states, state associations, and
other elected and appointed state officials. **Please note that direct state lobbying is
not an expectation for this position.
• Identifies and implements Medicaid managed care education and outreach
opportunities with elected and appointed state leaders.
• Tracks and leads analysis ofstate Medicaid/managed care policy making and determines
the potential impact on Medicaid Managed Care Organizations (MCOs).
• Develops the policy agenda and helps to oversee the work of the MHPA State Affairs
• Ensures that intel and legislative advocacy strategies and solutions are shared across
MHPA’s membership and among other stakeholders.
• Leads MHPA’s policy engagement with state officials, legislatures, and agencies on high
priority issues including policy matters that cross state and federal lines.
• Coordinates with the federal legislative affairs and regulatory team on cross-over issues.
• Helps build relationships with national state executive and legislative branch
associations, as well as DC-based governors’ staff.
• Actively engages with state associations and maintains other strategic partnerships, as
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Knowledge of Medicaid, managed care, and other health policy issues.
• State government experience, particularly state health care/Medicaid policy making,
including both legislative and regulatory processes.
• Experience working with state associations.
• Medicaid/managed care contacts at the state level.
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office products.
• Professional and positive approach
• Excellent interpersonal and relationship skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strategic thinking
• Attention to detail
• Team player who thrives in a high-energy, multitasking, and collaborative work
• Demonstrated problem solving and decision making
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree required. MPH or similar advanced degree
preferred, but not required. 5 years of experience working in state affairs, a state health care
organization, a health plan, or trade association is preferred. Experience in Medicaid/managed
care policy strongly preferred.
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with experience and is competitive with public
interest and government pay scales. MHPA also offers excellent benefits, including insurance
coverage (health, STD/LTD, AD&D, Life), a 401k retirement plan, flexible schedules and vacation
and medical leave benefits.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter and resume to Jobs@mhpa.org.Open until filled.
Job posted: 2022-07-09