Director- State and Federal Government Affairs
The Director- State and Federal Government Affairs is based in Washington, D.C. This position will work closely with and report directly to the Vice President- Government Affairs and will help represent Subaru on a variety of issues on both the state and federal level. The Director- State and Federal Government Affairs will assist in developing and implementing policy and strategy on behalf of North American Subaru. The position will involve regular interaction with government officials, trade associations and representatives from various Subaru entities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify, research, analyze and monitor a wide array of state and federal policies, proposals and issues of importance to Subaru Corporation (SBR) and its entities in the United States, including North American Subaru (NASI), Subaru of America (SOA), Subaru of Indiana Automotive (SIA) and Subaru Research & Development (SRD); and provide information and recommendations to the Vice President- Government Affairs for NASI.
- Assist in developing strategic plans for advocacy on important issues and in key policy areas.
- Travel to various states to develop and strengthen relationships with state government officials, including legislators, administration officials and officials of relevant regulatory bodies; and educate and inform them with respect to Subaru and its goals, objectives and needs.
- Represent Subaru’s business and policy interests in meetings with state and federal government officials, trade associations, external advocacy groups and industry representatives.
- Assist in the preparation and submission of appropriate responses to government inquiries and requests.
- Participate in a monthly conference call or meeting on state and federal government relations between executives of Subaru entities in the United States and SBR.
- Assist in the preparation of weekly and monthly reports on government affairs activities for SBR.
- Prepare drafts of position papers, advocacy materials and internal/external communications pertaining to state and federal policies, proposals and issues.
- Other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Vice President- Government Affairs.
Experience, Qualifications and Expected Areas of Competence
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in government relations, legislative affairs or public policy, with some prior state or federal government service or automotive industry experience preferred.
- A bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree such as a JD, MPA or MBA is desired.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Extensive knowledge of the political process and ability to quickly grasp and address the legislative and regulatory issues facing Subaru and the automotive industry.
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented, with an ability to handle sensitive or proprietary information with tact and confidentiality; must operate with a high degree of professionalism, collaboration, diplomacy and discretion, and always exhibit sound judgment.
- Proven ability to work independently, while also being able to actively engage and work as part of a team.
- Strong analytical skills and proven ability to assist in developing and implementing a strategic plan.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-07-24