Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, State and Federal Health Policy
VOLUNTEERS OF AMERICA NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS
Work closely with the VP of Public Policy, Director of Managed Medicaid Growth and Innovation and EVP of External Affairs to oversee the advancement of VOA state policy priorities around Medicare and Medicaid Services. This external facing position will provide support to local affiliates to increase state funding for health equity and improve outcomes and impact. Strengthen relationships with networks and coalitions to grow and maintain credibility and reputation with external influencers at all levels. To analyze relevance and implications of public policy documents and sign on letters from other organizations and share pertinent information with the affiliates on multiple platforms. Respond to affiliate public policy requests and coordinate Hill visits. Work with the Public Policy team in their role motivating staff program experts, CEO, affiliate staff and board members to engage and promote public policy initiatives that will support the VOA mission.
Essential Functions, Duties & Responsibilities
• Oversee the advancement of VOA’s health policy agenda through engagement with legislators, governors’ administrations, and other state politicians
• Engage with national partners to promote federal initiatives as well as state-focused solutions to health policy issues
• Communicate VOA public policy priorities to key stakeholders through omni-channel methods
• Position VOA as a leader in public policy among peer organizations, supporters and donors
• Cultivate relationships with VOA affiliates, specifically in key target states, to work in partnership with affiliate leadership and policy staff
• Develop affiliate capacity for state level engagement in health policy issues
• Create state-specific government affairs strategies and work closely with affiliate leadership and policy teams to implement and refine as needed
• Monitor policy trends relevant to VOA healthcare priorities, recommending actions as appropriate
• Work with VP of Public Policy to establish an Affiliate Advocacy Collaborative Network. This position will manage state focused relationships for health care concerns and share best practices for engagement.
• Produce toolkits and a resource library for activity in target states and share for affiliate use as policy concerns impact other states.
• Represent VOA at federal health and healthcare focused coalitions including Partnership to Protect Coverage (PPC) and National Alliance to Impact the Social Determinants of Health (NASDOH) to promote health equity and improved community health.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• A Bachelor’s degree is required
• Three years experience working in a mission based, nonprofit human service organization
• Three years experience in health policy, legislative affairs, or elected official office with a focus on Medicare and Medicaid programs.
• Exemplary public speaking and presentation skills required
• Confidence and professionalism to represent Volunteers of America and participate in external meetings
• Ability to conduct research on CMS and regulatory policies that arise at the state level
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
• Must be customer-oriented and have proven experience with relationship building
• Must have organizational and project management skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong self-motivation; ability to meet tight deadlines; adaptability; ability to handle multiple assignments
• Sound decision-making ability and judgment
• Must be detail oriented and customer-focused
• Ability to remain calm in a complex and fast-paced political environment
• Ability to work flexible hours; ability to travel is required
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-26