Director, State Government Affairs
Director, State Government Affairs
CompTIA is seeking a Director, State Government Affairs. The Director will have a diverse portfolio with management responsibilities, as well as lobbying responsibilities. The lobbying portfolio will be focused on the Northeast Region to serve as the lead association government affairs staff for Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia.
* Undertake oversight and coordination of a team of state government affairs lobbyists and contract lobbyists.
* Contribute to the strategic and tactical direction of CompTIA’s State Government Affairs practice
* Provide guidance to direct reports
* Ensure clarity around priorities and goals for the State Government Affairs practice
* Approve requests for investment to a certain level of authority
* Manage overall financial budgeting for this function
* Approve hiring and firing requests within the group
* Guide the talent identification and development processes for the group
* Work across functions with peers in the Public Sector and Advocacy practices of CompTIA and throughout the broader organization to ensure collaboration for shared goals
* Serve as CompTIA’s lead lobbyist for the Northeast region on policy issues before state legislatures and government agencies in the Northeast Region. Policy areas include privacy, data security, education and workforce development, energy and environment, tax, procurement, and emerging technologies.
* Coordinate with Subject Matter Experts on development of policy positions as well as legislative, regulatory and political programs in the Northeast Region.
* Work directly with CompTIA membership to develop policy positions and corresponding advocacy materials (position papers, letters, testimony, talking points, etc.).
* Testify before legislative committees and administrative agencies regarding CompTIA policy positions and member perspectives.
* Provide updates and communicate regularly internally and with member company representatives on strategy, issues, and policy development.
* Manage Northeast region contract lobbyists.
* Plan, organize and execute industry events, such as dinners and lobby days, with key state officials in the Northeast Region.
* Participate in national policy groups (CSG, NCSL, etc.) and engage in related activities to drive technology policy agendas.
* At least 8 years of experience in active government affairs roles or commensurate public sector role. Experience with a member-driven trade association; a background in direct lobbying in the Northeast Region states; and interest/knowledge of issues of concern to the technology industry are a plus.
* Bachelor’s degree required. MPP, MPA or JD helpful.
* Must possess excellent leadership, strategic planning, and analytical skills.
* Strong collaborative, team and interpersonal skills are essential, as well as the ability to be a self-starter who can tackle a wide variety of tasks, from high-level meetings with government officials to executing administrative duties.
* Proven track record executing successful advocacy and outreach activities at the state level.
* Must possess a deep understanding of the region’s political landscape and legislative processes and the ability to develop a network of relationships with key elected officials, staff, and other technology policy stakeholders.
* Capable of operating and excelling in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment while managing multiple issues across the region.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Maintain highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, with strongest professional reputation in the industry.
* The position requires some domestic travel. Occasionally travel may be required on very short notice.
- Pay Type Salary
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job posted: 2019-05-15