Director, State Government Affairs
CLEAR makes life easier and more secure by using biometrics – your fingerprints, eyes and face – to confirm that you are you, and keep you moving. Imagine a world where you can do virtually everything you need to – breeze through the airport, buy a beer at the game, check-in at the doctor’s office, access your office building, and more – without ever pulling out your wallet or phone. Now in 45+ airports and other venues nationwide, you are your ID, credit card, ticket, reservation and more with CLEAR.
We’re defining and leading an entirely new industry, moving quickly with data-informed decisions, obsessing over our customers, and investing in great people to lead the way. Recently named on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 List and winner of the SXSW Interactive Innovation Award, we’re working tirelessly to create frictionless customer experiences for our 3+ million members across the country.
CLEAR seeks to add a new position to its Government Affairs team to help design and execute CLEAR’s State and Local Government Affairs strategy through working with local authorities, lobbying, coalition building and thought leadership. The Director of State Government Affairs will help develop and implement successful government affairs strategies to advance CLEAR’s business objective and address identified threats at the state and local level. This position will serve a critical role in determining state and local engagement in multiple states across the US with a strong focus on CLEAR’s current ecosystems, airports, and stadiums. The individual will work cross-functionally and will report to the Vice President of Government Affairs. This position will be located in Washington, DC.
What You Will Do
- Work closely with the Government Affairs team to develop and execute the company’s State and Local Government Affairs strategy. The plan should focus on CLEAR’s current ecosystem, airports, and stadiums.
- Build a plan and tactics to include stakeholder engagement, legislative analysis, and coalition building across all local authorities within these targeted states, cities and counties.
- Build and elevate CLEAR’s position at the state and local level with all local authorities to include elected officials, their staff, airport authorities, local executive brand leadership, associations, and third-party stakeholders
- Track and monitor legislative calendars, initiatives important to the company, lead analysis of proposed legislative/regulatory actions, help determine the potential impact on the company and propose appropriate responses
- Identify, drive, and participate in opportunities to advance CLEAR’s policy positions on relevant state/local-focused forums
- Effectively utilize local contract lobbyists and help manage to achieve CLEAR’s state and local policy objectives
- Maintain a high standard and knowledge of the role of CLEAR’s innovative developments and how biometrics is shaping the future of industries
- Establish strong working relationships across functions, contributing ideas, strategies, project leadership in an innovative, thought-provoking manner
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s degree required; Political Science / JD preferred
- Minimum of 6-10 years’ experience including work in government relations or related positions in a corporation, trade organization or consulting/lobbying firm
- Experience and success interacting with state/local lawmakers and government officials
- Extensive knowledge of the state government relations and legislative processes
- Ability to work across political lines in a bipartisan manner
- Ability to manage and leverage outside consulting and lobbying resources
- Ability to quickly understand all components of an issue, and effectively influence an outcome
- Strategic thinker with the ability to anticipate emerging issues of importance to the company and the sector, and to prioritize appropriately
- Skilled in alliance development
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and presentation skills
- Self-starter that proactively more initiatives forward
- Adaptable, flexible, with the ability to lead and drive for results
- Ability to travel up to 40% of time
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-06-18