Director, State Government Affairs
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There’s something special about working at Astellas. It’s reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Director, State Government Affairs to be field based in the Southeast region of the United States.
Purpose & Scope:
Lead state government affairs program for APUS/AUS in assigned states in the Southeast region of the United States. Develop and implement state-specific government affairs plans to advance Astellas’ business objectives and address identified threats and opportunities. Maintain strong relationships with decision-makers and enhance corporate reputation in the region.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
In each assigned state –
- Maintain a thorough understanding of legislative and regulatory processes, and complete situational awareness of the poltical, legislative, and regulatory landscape.
- Maintain strong relationships with state policymakers in executive and legislative branches, their staff, as well as patient advocates.
- Develop strategic and tactical plans in each assigned state to address identified threats and opportunities, in executive and legislative branches.
- Participe as an integral member of PhRMA Task Forces in assigned states.
- Lead or actively participate in coalitions with patient advocates and other stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with Astellas Policy, Corporate Communications, Patient Engagement and Federal Affairs professionals.
- Maintain business acumen, including awareness of specific therapeutic area issues.
- Effectively direct local contract lobbyists and manage a multifaceted budget for the region.
- The SE Region currently includes Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky.
Responsible for developing and executing a state government affairs program in assigned states; managing relationships and actions in the executive and legislative branch; managing consultants and operating budgets in assigned states.
Report to Head of State Government Affairs. Maintain a collaborative relationship with colleagues in Policy, Corporate Communications, Federal Government Affairs, Stakeholder Engagement and other functions.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 10 years combined experience in legislative affairs, regulatory affairs, or health policy.
- Expertise in political, legislative and regulatory matters at the state level.
- Demonstrated success in lobbying state government.
- Demonstrated ability to assess threats and opportunities in the political and policy arena.
- Skilled in alliance development at the state level.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills.
- Proven ability to think strategically and implement tactically.
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Ability to travel up to 75% within assigned states.
- An advanced degree in Law, Government, Policy or related field.
- Experience in executive or legislative branch of state government in healthcare policy, health insurance, or related field.
- Experience lobbying state government in the Southeast region in the last five years.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-22