Director, State Government Affairs
Autism Speaks is seeking a Director, State Government Affairs! Individual will be home-based in Albany and cover a region of states. We are open and flexible to candidates living in other areas as well, in the northeastern to upper Midwest U.S.
PURPOSE: This position works closely with state legislatures and agencies, the autism community, and others to develop, enact, and implement the state policy objectives of Autism Speaks.
- Manage assigned state policy portfolios
- Represent Autism Speaks at state legislative proceedings, testifying or speaking as necessary
- Foster support for state policy objectives within the autism community and among state policymakers
- Research issues related to state policy objectives and respond to questions from the autism community, policymakers, and staff
- Manage and collaborate closely with contract lobbyist in selected states
- Assist with social media, op-eds, and other communications on state policy objectives
- Meet regularly with Advocacy Team to discuss policy and strategy
- Represent Autism Speaks at events and in coalitions with other groups
- Assist in planning and executing advocacy events and conferences
- Liaise with other organizations to build support for state policy objectives.
- Identify organizations or individuals that may be able to contribute financially to the advocacy efforts or to the mission of Autism Speaks and refer them to the appropriate fund-raising contact
- Assist in developing a network of outside experts to work with the autism community on an as-needed basis
- Comply with all relevant state lobbying laws and regulations for registration and reporting
- Perform other duties as directed
(The responsibilities listed above are representative and not all inclusive. Other duties may be assigned by supervisor/s. As outlined in your performance goal setting forms, you will be responsible for achieving the goals provided by and agreed upon with your manager.)
Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Juris Doctor or other advanced degree preferred.
Experience: Five or more years of related experience with a strong state legislative or executive agency background. 10 or more years of professional working experience.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Willingness to travel
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and activate grassroots lobbying
- Extremely polished and professional demeanor, excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong ability to research information; dynamic and innovative thinker
- Comfortable relating to senior executives and volunteer stakeholders
- Detail oriented, highly organized, with ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team member
- Solid administrative skills and a high level of proficiency in MS Office, Excel, PowerPoint, and social media
- Knowledge of autism and experience with individuals with autism and their families preferred
- Flexible and eager to take on additional responsibility as needed
- Building Collaborative Relationships
- Professional Behavior
- Results Driven
- Customer Orientation
You are responsible for protecting the confidentiality, integrity and availability of all Autism Speaks data and information to which you have access.
Autism Speaks is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural, and inclusive workplace. We recruit, evaluate, employ, and promote candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender identity or expression, protected veteran or military status, disability or other legally protected status. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply for job openings. Reasonable accommodations will be provided. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply.
About Autism Speaks:
At Autism Speaks, our mission is to promote solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the life span, for the needs of people with autism and their families. We do this through advocacy and support; increasing understanding and acceptance of people with autism spectrum disorder; and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions. Together with our broad and diverse community, we strive every day to achieve our vision of a world where all people with autism can reach their full potential. This mission and vision drive every member of our staff; our employees are inspired, energized and motivated by the impact we can collectively have on behalf of the autism community.
Autism Speaks celebrates every success achieved to create a kinder, more inclusive world for people with autism, and we work collaboratively across departments to find solutions that will do the most good for the most people.
Just as we strive to enhance lives today and accelerate a spectrum of solutions for tomorrow for people on the spectrum, we also aim to enhance the lives of our dedicated employees, through thick and thin.
Salary & Benefits:
Autism Speaks offers a competitive compensation, benefit and vacation package. We also provide flex work hours, weekly training sessions, tuition reimbursement and summer bonus Fridays in addition to a creative, innovative, collaborative, inclusive, kind and fun work environment.
For consideration, please forward your resume and cover letter.
Job posted: 2021-07-11