Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, State Government Affairs
The Director of State Government Affairs will be the regional leader of Humana’s state advocacy and engagement function. Ensures consistent approach to strategic advocacy and outreach across region. Coordinates work of external political consultants, directly accountable for execution on legislative, regulatory and public sector business development advocacy priorities. Represents Humana at regional state and local regulatory, Governor and legislative intergovernmental organizations. Additionally, serves as voice/face of Humana in priority state(s), communicating core advocacy, policy and business messages to state officials (including Governor’s office, legislators, regulatory agency leaders (DOI and DOH), attorneys general (as appropriate) and related political appointees), and strategically helps to establish and maintain relationships to support Humana’s advocacy and business objectives and goals.Responsibilities
Key Responsibilities include:
- Serve as Humana’s representative/liaison with state/local government (Governor’s office, legislature, Agency leadership (Dept of Insurance; Medicaid Agency/Dept of Health; state procurement agency)
- Serve as Humana’s liaison with state/local leaders, working on behalf of and in coordination with state market leaders (Medicare/Medicaid and commercial) as well as state-based business functions (Law Dept., Regulatory and Product Compliance, Finance, Corp Communications), on strategic priority matters (legislative, regulatory and public sector business development); ensure that market and functional leaders receive timely updates on ongoing and emerging issues material to Humana business goals and objectives.
- Implement/advance state strategic advocacy and relationship outreach to advance Humana’s public policy agenda, product and growth initiatives, and overall public sector business development objectives (based on, and in coordination with, Corporate Affairs policy team as well as market leadership and LOB business development teams)
- Manage and direct work of state retained consultants, state trade associations (as appropriate) and all communication with state policy and regulatory officials on behalf of the company
- Work closely with the head of state affairs and PAC manager on various PAC activities, including PAC contribution recommendations and disbursement strategies; internal PAC fundraising; and drafting of PAC communication materials.
- Provide regular/timely communications to Corporate Affairs team and market leadership regarding political environment and priority policy matters
- Maintain legislative monitoring on priority issues (working with retained consultants)
- Monitor/engage in legislative and regulatory matters identified as Humana priorities and position the company to successfully influence the development of priority legislative and regulatory activity to create business opportunities and mitigate operational and/or competitive challenges
- Monitor/identify/escalate general issues/matters that affect Humana externally (media stories, regulatory matters, competitor positioning, etc.) working with Corporate Affairs policy and strategic communications teams, as appropriate, to determine response
- As necessary, address sensitive/high profile state legislative and regulatory inquiries regarding the company (working in coordination with the Critical Inquiry team and regulatory compliance as appropriate)
- Develop strategies to promote competitive positioning and reputation, understanding company’s standing relative to competitors’ priorities and strategies (in/outside industry)
- Facilitate public sector business development relationship outreach to key state and local officials while keeping the businesses informed about relevant public policy and emerging state and local opportunities
- Identify/manage opportunities for ongoing and targeted interface with state policy officials (including site visits), underscoring Humana’s value proposition and role as a solutions-oriented “thought leader”
- Develop strategies for interface and engagement with traditional and non-traditional alliances/organizations to advance the company’s advocacy and reputation development agenda.
- Represent Humana at targeted regional and national legislative, regulatory and other intergovernmental organizations in coordination with State Affairs policy team.
- Minimum of 8 years of professional experience combined in either state government, government affairs, campaign, health policy and/or advocacy roles
- Bachelors or higher level degree in relevant degree area such as public policy, communications, health policy, political science, or business
- Strong personal integrity
- Proven ability to create and implement advocacy campaigns directly relevant to state government, including clear record of achieving short and long term milestones as it relates to advancing policy, political and/or advocacy goals
- Keen understanding of how the legislative and regulatory process, along with the general state political/public policy environment, impacts business organizations
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills including polish, poise, and executive presence that will ensure effective interaction with senior and executive level audiences, the ability to “read” people, pitch a legislative proposal and articulate company positions effectively, galvanize support for a position, build/maintain coalitions, and create/establish trusted “confidante” relationships with policy officials as well as with other lobbyists, colleagues and even organizations outside of the industry
- Excellent verbal and written communication, analytical, and organizational skills, including an ability to write well under deadlines pressures
- Ability to motivate self and team and execute at high level, focusing on creating a consistent “perfect experience,” while fostering individual leadership and autonomy
- Strong understanding of the political influence process – knowing how to target and foster key relationships
- Ability to visualize process/strategy needed to influence the policy debate most effectively
- Understanding of the state’s role as a customer as well as regulator and policymaking body – understanding how all of the various state and local government agencies and legislative leaders shape policy, public program and administrative (procurement) decision-making
- Knowledge of (and willingness to learn) company issues (public policy as well as business)
- Experience working in a fast-paced matrixed organization, with proven ability to work collaboratively through various departments and functional areas, promoting a culture of proactive teamwork
- Strong conceptual and creative thinker with an ability to identify trends and interrelationships
- Strong creative problem-solving, negotiation, and multi-tasking skills in time-sensitive settings
- Travel required up to 30% or more based on need
- We are a healthcare company committed to putting health and safety first for our members, patients, associates, and the communities we serve. For this job, associates are required to be fully COVID vaccinated or undergo weekly COVID testing and wear a face covering while at work. The weekly testing will need to be done through an approved Humana vendor, and unvaccinated associates should follow all social distancing and masking protocols if they are required to come into a Humana facility or work outside of their home. If progressed to offer, you will be required to: Provide proof of full vaccination or commit to testing protocols OR Provide proof of applicable exemption including any required supporting documentation. Medical, religious, state and remote-only work exemptions are available.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Job posted: 2021-12-22