Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, State Government Affairs
About the job
The Toy Association’s Government Affairs Department is responsible for legislative and regulatory advocacy activities affecting member company products in all 50-states.
The primary role of the state government affairs position will be to implement the Association’s state advocacy goals in a defined region including states in the Eastern U.S.
This position will report to the Senior Vice President, Government Affairs, and work directly with the Association’s External Affairs Department team, external state lobbyists to address issues in assigned states, and priority states throughout the U.S.
The position can be based in the Washington, D.C. office or remotely in the Eastern region with frequent travel at times to assigned states.
- Manage the Association’s government relations efforts in assigned states and provide advocacy support in priority states across the country on specific legislative and regulatory issues.
- Coordinate grassroots efforts with Association members and other regional groups and work to build coalitions to pass, defeat, or modify legislation and regulations impacting the toy industry.
- Manage and direct external contract lobbyists and other consultants.
- Monitor state legislative and agency activities, develop materials for lobbying efforts, contact legislators and legislative staff, and represent the Association in legislative and regulatory negotiations.
- Develop strategic action and response plans to state legislation addressing the Association’s key advocacy issues.
- Participate in public policy groups, industry trade associations and other advocacy groups, and work to strengthen relationships with strategic allies in assigned states.
- Work with the Association’s State Government Affairs Committee to develop consensus on key advocacy issues.
- Develop reports for members and external audiences, draft legislative testimony and regulatory comments, and produce other advocacy and written materials.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Affairs, Communications, or a related field preferred.
- Minimum of six years of experience in a similar advocacy position or equivalent experience working as a staff member in state legislative office.
- Extensive knowledge of state legislative process, ideally including local and regulatory processes.
- Experience as a state-level lobbyist preferred, and experience working across multiple states is a plus.
- Experience working on consumer product policy issues including data privacy and environmental issues is a plus.
- Must have excellent writing, and communication skills and demonstrated ability and be comfortable speaking to large audiences.
- Significant (30-50%) overnight travel at times may be required post-COVID 19.
- Must be willing to work in fast-paced deadline driven environment.
- Must be able to work independently especially if in an in-home office environment when not travelling.
- This position requires a high degree of adaptability as the incumbent will be faced with a variety of issues on a day-to-day basis and will be expected to quickly respond to these issues appropriately.
Compensation: $100,000 – $125,000 plus benefits. Salary commensurate with experience.
Please send resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job posted: 2022-04-28