Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of State Government Affairs
The National Pest Management Association seeks a highly motivated, ambitious, and resourceful individual to serve as the Director of State Government Affairs. As part of the NPMA policy team, this individual will advocate for the professional pest management industry at the local, state and federal levels. This position reports directly to the Vice President of Public Policy and works closely with members of the industry relations department.
- Maintain the departmental public policy issues tracking hotlist
- Monitor and track state legislative and regulatory activity via Fiscal Note, Federal Register, Congressional Record and other outlets and alert public policy team to potential issues.
- Interpret, digest and summarize state rules, regulations, bills and other communications
- Draft and format state legislative/regulatory alerts for distribution to Association Members
- Assist with the development of public policy and technical alerts and bulletins
- Routinely check and/or update public policy portion of NPMA website
- Build and develop a network of policy contacts
- Work with allied groups in the DC Metro area and state coalitions
- Form relationships with state representatives and their staff, contract state lobbyists and state representatives.
- Serve as the Association liaison for the SPAR (State Policy Affairs Program)
- Prepare and distribute weekly policy communications email
- Coordinate and develop industry relations articles (policy, technical and certification) for internal and external publications
- Prepare testimony for state hearings
- Assist with committee work and project implementation as needed
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
- Very strong writing skills
- Experience working in a federal or state government affairs program
- Experience writing testimony, regulatory comments and/or legislative drafting
- Experience tracking bills and regulations and providing summaries
- A strong commitment to advocating on behalf of public health and business issues
- Knowledge of pesticide issues and/or understanding of the pest management industry a plus but not required.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Strongly prefer at least two years of public policy experience in a congressional, state legislative, federal or state agency or trade association position
This position is based in Old Town Fairfax, with a hybrid virtual/in person work schedule. Some travel will be required depending on the Association and Legislative schedules and events.
WHO WE ARE:
NPMA’s shared core values describe our essence and guide our actions. Our values are part of our DNA. They guide the way we work with our members, partners and with each other. Through integrity, passion, life balance, teamwork, and collaboration, all while having fun, we will continue to create a vibrant culture where ideas can blossom, people can thrive and success can flourish.
NPMA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Email email@example.com for more information on how to apply.
Job posted: 2022-09-20