Director, State Government Affairs
At Bombardier, our employees work together to evolve mobility worldwide – one good idea at a time. If you have a good idea, we’ll provide the environment where it will thrive and grow into a great product or customer experience. Your ideas are our fuel.
In your role, you will
Reporting to the Vice President, Government Affairs – US, the Director, State Government Affairs is responsible for developing and executing government outreach programs that advance the best interests of the Corporation and its business units. Primary focus is on state-level entities including legislative bodies, executive branch entities and related organizations, such as business and industry associations, relevant government consulates and other relevant influencers. Responsibilities
Government Affairs and Outreach
- Working with the Vice President, develop and execute strategic advocacy, network development and issues management plans in selected states.
- Represent the corporation with state legislatures, gubernatorial offices, state agencies and related executive branch organizations. Develop and manage stakeholder relationships to raise positive visibility for Bombardier, further business interests and manage issues potentially impacting the Corporation or its businesses.
- Initiate and support senior executive interactions with state government stakeholders, including Governors, agency officials, legislative members, other senior officials and staff as appropriate.
- Monitor the legislative process in key states, providing information into the Corporation on developments with potential impact. Track and assess bills, committee hearings, briefings, rulemaking and other state policy initiatives.
- Monitor agency announcements, hearings, publications, and other communications on government regulatory and policy initiatives of interest to the Corporation.
- Establish channels supporting information flow to state government stakeholders, including publications, briefings, online sources, events and other tools. Provide information and counsel to state officials, legislative members and staff regarding Bombardier positions on policy issues;
- Develop content promoting Bombardier presence, investment and value delivered in specific states. Develop strategy, messaging and action plans on topics of interest to the Corporation.
- Work with business units and administrative functions to implement practices ensuring company compliance with all state and local lobbying/lobby disclosure regulations, rules and guidelines.
- Maintain expertise on state policy developments of concern to Bombardier and its business units.
- Conduct internal planning and priority setting with business units and state operations on relevant policy issues, including commercial, trade, tax, work force and other regulatory policies
- Plan and execute advocacy programs in support of corporate and business unit interests, including directly supporting bid opportunities, sales campaigns and operating site needs as necessary;
- Provide liaison services to business units supporting productive interaction with state government entities, both at the public service and political levels;
- Leverage relevant business and industry associations, local consultants and other resources in cooperation with business units to advance corporate and industry interests. Represent Bombardier in industry advocacy and coalition efforts as appropriate.
Research and Briefing
- Monitor developments on files relevant to the Corporation’s strategic and political objectives.
- Conduct research on state public policy, particularly with respect to industrial government policies, economic development policies, trade policies and debate surrounding these topics
- Analyze state/local media on relevant issues, particularly those related to Bombardier in-state presence, aerospace and rail transport sectors. Develop responsive public positioning for stakeholder engagement;
- Facilitate flow of strategic intelligence and information to key contacts within the Corporation.
As our ideal candidate
- Undergraduate degree in public affairs or related discipline.
- Minimum four (4) years related experience in state government affairs or public affairs roles
- Established network in state government affairs circles and key states
- Experience working with state gubernatorial offices, agencies, legislatures and related contacts
- Working knowledge and experience managing state-level transportation industry issues and their intersection with federal policy, particularly in the aerospace and rail transportation sector.
- Excellent communication skills (spoken and written). Proven track record executing successful advocacy/outreach activities at state level. Experience developing effective support content including presentations, talking points, background documents and other materials.
- Experience managing external resources to positive outcomes, such as associations and consultants.
Bombardier is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by Federal, National, or Local Laws.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those under consideration will be contacted. Please continue to monitor our website and apply for additional positions for which you are qualified and may be of interest to you.
Your ideas move people.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-03-26