Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, State Government Affairs, California and the Southwest – (2300004J)
The American Diabetes Association (ADA) seeks an individual for the position of Director of State Government Affairs for the region of California and the Southwest. This position is responsible for designing and implementing advocacy strategies to advance the ADA’s advocacy priorities and mission in assigned states. Among other duties, the position’s responsibilities include lobbying state legislatures, managing volunteer and staff working groups, and representing ADA in coalitions and other public facing groups and situations. This position works under the supervision of the Vice President of State Government Affairs and works closely with colleagues in ADA’s Grassroots Advocacy, Federal Government Affairs, Payment and Regulatory Policy, Legal Advocacy, and Communications teams to achieve the ADA’s advocacy goals. Candidates for this position must be able to work independently and manage multiple priority projects.
The successful incumbent will manage all aspects of state lobbying in assigned states and contribute to the ADA’s Advocacy Division by:
- Establishing and maintaining close working relationships with members of state legislatures and their staff, governors and relevant agency personnel, and partner organizations.
- Leading state efforts to introduce and engage in legislation or support regulatory policy change in alignment with ADA’s advocacy priorities.
- Pursuing necessary regulatory follow-up of legislative gains achieved.
- Preparing materials to support advocacy campaigns including drafting bill language, fact sheets, reports, press releases, and other materials.
- Identifying, recruiting, and training volunteer advocates as required by the position and assisting advocates with preparation and presentation of testimony before state legislative committees and other agencies.
- Facilitating local advocacy committees and presenting to community leadership boards as required,
- Working in tandem with colleagues on the federal team to support federal campaigns as required.
- Utilizing the ADA’s grassroots and communications capabilities to support state legislative activities and federal campaigns as required.
- Overseeing the implementation of advocacy-related communications efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree, with three to five years experience in public policy arena (either with non-profit, state or federal legislative office or regulatory agency).
- Demonstration of active participation in public policy making as a lobbyist, legislative or regulatory staff person.
- A strong personal commitment to preventing and curing diabetes and improving the lives of all people affected by diabetes.
- Frequent travel is required.
- The position will work remotely but the applicant must currently live in California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, or New Mexico.
**Compensation Range: $80,000 – $87,000 DOE
Take Your Career On A Mission
Are you looking for a career that directly impacts your community and beyond? Over 37 million Americans have diabetes and over 96 million have prediabetes. The American Diabetes Association (ADA) offers a rewarding career working for one of the premier voluntary health organizations in the world supporting people with type 1 & type 2 diabetes. Our employees like working at the ADA because of our mission, the inclusive environment, work-life balance, our benefits and our culture. Joining our dedicated team affords the gratification of knowing beyond a doubt that you will impact the lives and well-being of millions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of the American Diabetes Association to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
To find out more about the ADA as well as other exciting and fulfilling career opportunities please visit us at www.diabetes.org/careers. For full consideration, you must apply directly to the Association’s Careers Page.
There’s nothing we can’t do when we’re Connected for Life!
Job posted: 2023-09-13