Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, State Government Affairs- Western Region #22-818
The Director, State Government Affairs – Western Region sits within the State Government Affairs Team and covers the California and greenfield states in the Western Region reporting to the Vice President of State Affairs. The Director is the lead advocate for CCA’s interests in the Western Region. The Director participates comprehensively in the establishment and execution of CCA’s state advocacy agenda, creating individualized state advocacy plans and communicating, advocating, and executing a proactive state government affairs goals that advance CCA’s goals at the state level and defeat or mitigate actions by state officials that could negatively affect CCA’s business or the consumers we serve.
The Director is responsible for developing strategic lobbying plans in the relevant markets, as well as communicating and promoting the company’s positions directly to legislators and their staff.
In existing markets, the Director supports the Market General Manager, Market Regulatory Affairs and Company Leadership in their engaging with the Executive branch. In target markets, the Director supports Business Development and Company Leadership in engaging with Executive branch officials.
The Director will also lead CCA’s advocacy work in building, developing, and maintaining engagement opportunities with existing trade associations, advocacy groups and organizations doing similar work in existing and target markets within the region. The Director serves as the primary point of contact with trade associations engaged in state advocacy in the relevant states and supports alliance development with key stakeholders in both existing and target markets. The Director collaborates with market leadership, business development public policy, legal, clinical affairs, and other relevant departments to provide input to and distribute relevant content from the applicable trade associations.
Supervision Exercised: Yes
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field required
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- 4-6 years related work experience in Health care or government setting.
- Experience attending to variable legislative issues while meeting time-sensitive deadlines.
- 1-2 years direct advocacy experience
- Strong passion for and interest in Medicare/Medicaid policy and advocacy on behalf of CCA’s membership.
- Strong knowledge of inner workings of the state government, policymaking, and budgetary processes.
- Excellent collaboration, problem-solving and organizing skills.
- Knowledge of Medicaid, Medicare, health care and pharmacy issues.
- Proven experience in effectively communicating complex ideas to company executive leadership, top-level government leaders and external thought leaders to win support for the company.
- In partnership with multiple departments across the organization, develop and execute a broad legislative advocacy agenda to enhance the CCA brand and reputation in California.
- In partnership with Business Development, develop and execute a broad legislative advocacy agenda to enhance the CCA brand and reputation in target markets.
- Establish and maintain an intelligence-gathering strategy to proactively identify emerging trends to help the company navigate business decisions
- Manage a network of business and trade association partners in the region
- Attend industry events to manage and nourish relationships with trade associations
- Maintain communication channels with trade associations to gather intelligence on industry priorities and legislative and political developments relevant to those priorities and to provide feedback on proposed legislation, regulations, and similar guidance
- Collaborate with Vice President, State Affairs in the identification, selection and contracting of state lobbyists and other consultants
- Oversee contracted lobbyists and consultants in the region, where applicable
- Maintain and deepen strategic relationships with state elected officials, staff, and agencies in the Western region
- In collaboration with corporate, market and department leadership support the corporate executive branch advocacy agenda and associated activities.
- In partnership with business development, develop and execute a broad legislative advocacy agenda to enhance the CCA brand and reputation in target markets.
- Monitor and analyze legislation in relevant states and communicate changes and implications to the relevant corporate partners to mitigate risk for departments across the organization.
- Collaborate with the public policy department to analyze the implications of legislation and regulations on CCA’s businesses and to develop and articulate positions on that legislation.
- Collaborate with the corporate compliance department to interpret and implement applicable provisions of legislation and regulations in the relevant states.
- Proactively identify and communicate policy and political issues and trends that impact the company to relevant internal stakeholders.
- Collaborate with other members of the legal and public affairs department to prepare internal and external facing materials (white papers, testimony, articles, press releases, speeches, presentations, messages to the Board, letters-to-editors, op-eds, etc.) to promote CCA’s positions on proposed policies in partnership with CCA’s Policy and Development professionals.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with State government leaders and agency staff
- Advise company leadership on state political activity
- Work closely with like-minded advocacy organizations and serve as a representative on coalitions to further common policy priorities.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with business leaders across CCA to develop a working knowledge of their business, priorities, and strategies, and use that knowledge to provide timely updates on policy developments that have an impact on their business
- Develop subject matter expertise on a wide range of relevant policy issues and provide insightful analysis on those issues with internal business partners
- Represent State Government Affairs on internal, cross-functional teams as necessary
- Create and lead in opportunities for CCA to showcase innovative programs to legislators and public, highlighting catchment areas.
- Supervisory responsibilities to include overseeing student interns
- Standard office conditions
- Regional travel required.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-09-08