Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director State Government Relations
The position is preferred to be based in Boston MA or Hartford CT. The Director of State Government Affairs is responsible for influencing changes to State laws and regulations by lobbying the Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York Legislatures and the Executive Branch on GSK priorities and issues related to health care and the pharmaceutical industry. Also serve as the Government Relations Department’s liaison with GSK facilities in Waltham and Cambridge MA and Branford CT and manage senior executive engagement with Legislative and Executive officials in both states. Additionally, responsible for GSK’s State Government Affairs activities in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Rhode Island. Fifty percent travel to these states is expected.
- Lobby State Government and engage patient advocacy groups, health professional societies, and trade associations to support business unit needs at GSK.
- Responsible for overseeing those representing GSK’s interests before state governments. Serve as the company’s registered lobbyist in both state legislatures and executive branch agencies. Manage senior executive engagement with Government officials and key business groups in facilities states.
- Influence state legislation and regulation affecting GSK’s business interests in the following areas: Oncology, Vaccines, Specialty, Respiratory and HIV.
- Responsible for identifying and establishing annual legislative and policy objectives in coordination with GR management.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of existing state policies affecting GSK, including product access and reimbursement, sales and marketing restrictions, and Public Health initiatives. Awareness of key business and tax related policies that could impact our corporate footprint in Massachusetts and Connecticut.
- Manage GSK’s contract lobbyists or other consultants in key states as required.
- Engage in legislative coalition-building and perform other functions designed to help ensure a legislative and regulatory environment that recognize and reward the value and importance of innovative medicines
- Identify legislative and regulatory opportunities that support GSK’s business priorities or have a negative impact on GSK. These issues can affect GSK’s business planning over periods of many years.
- Influence industry trade associations to assure these associations’ priorities include GSK’s priorities.
- Establish alliances with patient advocacy groups (PAGS) and health professional organizations, business associations or other groups as appropriate to further GSK’s priorities. Assure transparency and vales-based mechanisms for funding, strategy, and relationship development.
- Build long-term strategic relationships and communicate with internal and external stakeholders to deliver optimal value through strategy, alignment, and execution.
- Participate with matrix teams and task forces, both with GSK business units and with external organizations, to advocate GSK priorities.
- Work with other Government Relations colleagues to coordinate efforts and assure consistency in messaging.
- Direct the work of GSK consultants to assure they advocate GSK priorities and remain in compliance with GSK rules and values.
- Represent the GSK Employees Political Action Committee (PAC).
- Bachelor’s degree
- Professional experience working in the government or in government relations and familiarity with Massachusetts, New York, and Connecticut
- Possess verbal and written communication skills commensurate with the needs of the role. Ability to process complex information and summarize it concisely in writing and/or verbally in a professional manner in a time sensitive environment
- Experience in developing working relationships with diverse individuals and groups
- Direct lobbying and familiarity with patient advocacy groups
- Pre-existing relationships with members of the New York, Massachusetts or Connecticut Legislatures or familiarity with politics and issues in the states
- Demonstrated ability to work with numerous internal and external stakeholders in a values-compliant manner.
- Extensive exposure to health care policy
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we’re making the biggest changes we’ve made to our business in over 20 years. We’re on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022: New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of disease together – all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that is ambitious for patients – so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact – with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing. So, if you’re ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK’s commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-06-18