Director of State Government Relations
Under the guidance of the vice president of government relations this position is responsible for growing successful state legislative programs relevant to ATSSA members; serving as an authority on ATSSA-related legislation and regulation; educating and communicating with members regarding relevant topics and managing relevant events at the state level.
– Executes and manages system to monitor, review and react to legislation and regulations relevant to ATSSA and its members; provides updates on movement of priorities;
– Researches complex legislation and regulations relevant to the roadway safety industry; makes recommendations on pursuit of policies;
– Executes a state legislative tracking program for issues relevant to ATSSA members;
– Represents ATSSA at state, local and national meetings and events;
– Recommends state government relations associations and coalitions; cultivates engaged advocates from states including key states and local legislators and staff;
– Works with member chapters to develop, organize and execute successful state advocacy programs (e.g. capitol fly-ins);
– Develops and executes state level grassroots advocacy initiatives based on ATSSA’s strategic and operational plans;
– Explores legislative options to bring ATSSA-supported legislation from the state level to Washington when appropriate and vice versa;
– Drafts content for communications and partners with ATSSA PR and marketing staff to promote state-specific programs; drafts other documents and talking points to advance state-specific issues as necessary;
– In collaboration with the government relations staff and other departments, develops and executes the strategic and operational plans for state government relations initiatives;
– In collaboration with the government relations staff and the finance department, develops and adheres to annual fiscal budget; presents budget as needed;
– Attends Leadership Team meetings in Fredericksburg, Virginia as needed and participates in leadership discussions and projects;
– Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience- A bachelor’s degree in political science, public administration or related field. At least five years of relevant state government relations experience, grassroots advocacy and legislative experience. Experience in a member-based organization and/or in the roadway safety infrastructure industry.
Skills and Knowledge– Expert knowledge of legislative process; effective writing, editing, organization, and project management skills; detail-orientated; the proven ability to meet deadlines under pressure; at ease networking and communicating with various levels of an organization; ability to collaborate in a team environment and experience working with volunteers; demonstrated ability to problem solve independently; ability to effectively analyze legislation; comfortable working in Microsoft Office applications.
Must be able to travel nationally to chapter meetings and regularly to Fredericksburg, VA office.
The American Traffic Safety Services Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, alienage or national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, arrest record, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Job posted: 2019-08-09