Director, State Government Relations & Public Policy (East Region)
Under the direction of the Vice President, Government Relations & Public Policy, the Director, State Government Relations & Public Policy (East Region) is responsible for legislative and regulatory advocacy activities affecting member company products at the state and local levels. The Director takes part in implementing HCPA’s state advocacy program and supports the Association’s specific lobbying efforts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (Lobbying/Advocacy)
The Director, Government Relations & Public Policy (East Region) will be responsible for overseeing advocacy efforts in 23 eastern states (everything East of the Mississippi River, minus Wisconsin, Illinois and Mississippi). In addition, the position will have a broad range of responsibilities including, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Monitor and track legislative and regulatory activity.
- Submit appropriate state lobbying reports.
- Work to strengthen relationships with allied trade associations, industry coalitions, NGOs, and elected officials.
- Manage contract lobbyists.
- Manage and set priorities for state legislative budget.
- Develop written reports for members and external audiences and maintain State Affairs legislative tracking matrix.
- Attend HCPA’s Mid-Year and Annual Meetings; staff State Advisory Council meetings and other meetings/committees/working groups, as assigned.
Education and Qualification Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required in Political Science, Public Affairs, History, English or related field.
- Five years of experience in a similar advocacy position or experience working for one full legislative session at the federal or state levels.
- Collaborative and team-oriented professional able to successfully interact with staff members, association members, and Board of Directors and other key stakeholder organizations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have excellent writing and communication skills.
- Must have demonstrated ability to speak to large audiences.
- Must have demonstrated ability to organize large projects and stakeholder groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills (communication, teamwork) and personal effectiveness skills (decision making, time management).
- Works well in a team or independently when necessary.
- Self-starter with the ability to work in a fast-paced office environment.
- Must be flexible and able to manage multiple responsibilities.
- Proficient with MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, as well as legislative tracking software platforms.
- Knowledge of manufacturing industries and business operations a plus.
There are no supervisory responsibilities.
Overnight travel with extended stay to the HCPA Mid-Year and Annual Meetings is required. Regular travel to various states in the East region to attend meetings with members and attend legislative/regulatory hearings is required. Other travel as business needs dictate.
Please send resumes to Kevin Serafino, Vice President, Government Relations & Public Policy and Internal Counsel, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2021-01-30