Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, State and Local Affairs – Western Region
Position Summary: AHLA is seeking a full-time Director, State and Local Government Affairs. This position will be responsible for assisting in the development and execution of AHLA’s state and local government affairs strategies and public policy agendas for a region of the western U.S. states. This position will also build and maintain successful relationships with state association members, state and local policymakers and other industry-related organizations.
- Identify state and local legislation that is of priority to AHLA’s membership. On an ongoing basis, monitor legislation to ensure AHLA is in front of issues impacting membership.
- Communicate relevant legislative developments to AHLA’s membership on a regular basis.
- Develop and maintain relationships with national groups representing governors, state legislators, attorneys general, municipal officials, and others in order to identify relevant legislative trends.
- Coordinate and execute grassroots and grasstops state and local lobbying campaigns.
- Support the Senior Vice President in all strategic initiatives.
- Support AHLA’s membership engagement and development initiatives when needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Communications, or related area or equivalent work experience.
- 5 -7 years of experience in state and/or local government or advocacy; or a combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of the legislative process at the federal, state, and local levels.
Skills and Attributes:
- Experienced computer and software knowledge, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Demonstrated ability to work in diverse political climates with legislators, governors, attorneys general and municipal officials and staff.
- Ability to work toward consensus, lead coalitions and advocate for AHLA’s state and local policy priorities in various policymaking and political environments.
- A proactive approach to problem-solving with strong decision-making skills.
- Excellent project management skills with great attention to detail, and strong work ethic.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to write and edit clear, engaging, and grammatically correct content; willingness to be coached.
- Self-motivated individual who is also a team player with a high level of professionalism and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Detail-oriented individual with exceptional organizational and time management skills.
- Significant annual travel requirements (about 50%).
- Remote position based within the Mountain Time Zone.
Interested applicants can apply by sending their cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
AHLA is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Job posted: 2022-05-11