Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, State & Local Government Affairs, Vacation Rental Management Association
Smithbucklin, a 100 percent employee-owned association management company, is looking for a Director of Government Affairs, Vacation Rental Management Association (VRMA) to join our Business + Trade Industry Practice in Washington, DC. The position is centered on state and local government affairs. The Director is responsible for the development, management and execution of the client association’s advocacy initiatives at the state and local level, working with local coalitions, managing outside consultants, developing communications strategies, development of education and training content for volunteer advocates and serving as staff liaison to association member committees.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop, manage and execute the association’s advocacy initiatives.
- Collect, analyze and consult on relevant proposed ordinances and legislation.
- Represent the association before policy makers and in industry coalitions as needed.
- Manage and grow the grassroots network of the association in order to organize the membership for action on issues as they arise.
- Prepare issue briefs, white papers and legislative tool kits on key issues.
- Develop grassroots alerts and press releases on industry issues and positions.
- Conduct outreach to other organizations in the real estate and hospitality industries to educate them on issues and collaborate and engage with them to advance the initiatives of the association.
- Manage the association’s issues management system.
- Manage the annual updating and development of the association’s National Policy Agenda.
- Manage special projects related to legislative initiatives
- Act as a liaison with national organizations of state and local officials (NCSL, NACO, DLGA, RLGA, CLA, etc.)
- Provide primary staff support to the association’s Government Affairs, Collaborative and Advocacy Fund Committees.
- Write and produce content for association member e-newsletters and other member communications.
- Maintain and update the advocacy areas of the association website.
- Utilize social media to promote the association’s advocacy agenda.
- Assist with the advocacy preparation of conferences, board and committee meetings.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Experience in a nonprofit association or government relations/advocacy management
- Local and/or state government affairs experience highly preferred (most issues will be at the local and state level)
- Strong written, interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with staff, consultants and volunteer committees
Education & Work Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four year accredited college/university
- 5-10 years relevant professional experience
- PC experience with Windows operating system
Job posted: 2022-09-20