Director, State & Local Government Affairs Western Region
Will be responsible for assisting in the development and execution of AHLA’s state and local
government affairs strategies and public policy agendas, with an emphasis on the Western United
States. Will build and maintain successful relationships with partner state associations along with
engagement of the state/local policy maker organizations.
• Identify state and local legislation that is of priority to AHLA’s membership. On an ongoing
basis, monitor legislation to ensure AHLA is in front of issues impacting membership.
• Communicate relevant legislative developments to AHLA’s membership on a regular basis.
• Develop/maintain relationships with national groups representing governors, state legislators,
attorneys general, municipal officials and others to identify relevant legislative trends.
• Coordination and execution of grassroots/grasstops state and local lobbying campaigns.
• Support the Senior Vice President in all strategic initiatives.
• Will support AHLA’s membership engagement and development initiatives when needed.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree;
• Five – Seven years of experience in state and/or local government or advocacy; or a combination
of education and experience.
Skills and Attributes:
• Experienced computer and software knowledge, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel,
• Demonstrated ability to work in diverse political climates with legislators, governors, attorneys
general and municipal officials and staff.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, both oral and written, including the ability to
synthesize complicated matters to appropriate audiences.
• Ability to work toward consensus, lead coalitions and advocate for AHLA’s state and local
policy priorities in various policymaking and political environments.
• Team player with a high level of professionalism, self-motivation, and position attitude.
• A proactive approach to problem-solving with strong decision-making skills.
• Significant annual travel requirements (about 50%).
• Remote position within the Western United States.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to HR@AHLA.com
Job posted: 2020-11-16