St Paul, MN
Director, State & Local Government Relations
Ecolab’s Government Relations team is responsible for defining, leading and furthering Ecolab’s legislative agenda and public policy initiatives through education and appropriate influencing of elected officials. Our primary mission is to develop public policy positions that successfully promote Ecolab’s business goals and effectively oppose those that have the potential to unreasonably restrict our businesses or result in a competitive disadvantage for our customers, our company or our industry. The team will operate in transparent and collaborative ways that result in the development of agreed-upon priorities and consistent policy positions. and. To achieve these overarching goals we will seek to:
- Be responsive to law and policy makers;
- Identify important allies and critics and develop an outreach approach to work with both; and
- Strategically allocate budget resources
GR State and Local Director Role: This newly created position will report to the Division Vice President, Government Relations and will focus on emerging and other priority public policy issues at the state and local levels. This job is responsible for leading and promoting the company’s business interests by providing thorough analyses and devising and implementing advocacy and lobby strategies. .
Primary Duties & Accountabilities
- Works closely with company’s senior leaders to identify top priorities and determine strategic objectives for the Company at the state level in relation to legislation and regulations that support and advance Company growth and profit, to include impacts on customer retention, environmental compliance, and business development activities.
- Designs and executes effective legislative and regulatory strategies and tactics for priority state market, which align with government laws, regulations and standards.
- Develops a robust understanding of Ecolab’s businesses, products and business strategies.
- Ensures coordination across corporate and business unit interests, through communication, analysis and integration of policy, regulatory and legislative positions.
- Effectively and timely communicates with Ecolab business leaders regarding public policy developments and potential implications that may affect the company.
- Cultivates and maintains relationships with key government stakeholders, represents and protects the organization’s business interests; and ensures they understand and are apprised of the company’s position on key issues impacting the company.
- Leads identification, collection, interpretation and analyses of proposed legislative actions, determines the potential impact on the organization and develops appropriate responses.
- Proactively monitors legislative and regulatory activities (i.e., hearings), promotes company position, and prepares memoranda and briefing materials (white papers; presentations; talking points).
- Proactively identifies and communicates to external parties to build coalitions and develop grassroots plans for outreach externally and internally, including drafting messaging, monitoring results and modifying plans as needed.
- Coordinates activities to ensure that issues are communicated quickly and accurately to appropriate internal personnel, external lobbyists/legislators/interested parties.
- Identify and engage with key state trade associations, third-party contract lobbyists (where needed) to drive policy objectives relevant to Ecolab business interests.
- Manage state lobbying activities, political action committee (PAC) and campaign related activities.
- Drafting of weekly report on State Government developments – this includes direct communication with filed lobbyists located throughout the US.
- Support manager in managing State Government Affairs budget that potentially include retaining local lobbyists for project specific work and/or joining local business or trade associations.
Required Qualifications- 8+ years of experience in the government relations and regulatory environment, with specific knowledge of and experience in State Legislative processes.
Other Desired Qualifications
- Experience working with State and Local Governments on public policy issues. Experience in the following states is preferred: Minnesota, Illinois, California, Texas and Louisiana.
- Experience implementing strategies to achieve public policy goals
- Experience communicating and presenting information in a manner that persuades, educates, and enhances understanding at all levels
- Strong consultative and interpersonal skills to work with diverse groups of internal and external individuals including Company CEOs/Presidents and their staffs; lobbyists; state elected and appointed officials and regulators; trade and business associations; political organizations; and public interest groups.
- Experience tracking and reporting public policy issues
- Experience using time management skills such as prioritizing/organizing and tracking details and meeting deadlines of multiple projects with varying completion dates.
- Demonstrated experience in municipal and/or government relations or public affairs.
- Experience working on legislative or regulatory issues and processes for a governmental entity or private sector company.
- Experience working with outside lobbying or consulting firms on projects or legislative efforts.
- Must be a self-starter and independent worker.
Job Posted: September 9, 2017