Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, State & Local Policy
We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got good vibes. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener – because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital assets into the financial mainstream. You will lead Coinbase’s policy and strategy engagement with state and local governments. You will partner closely with your colleagues on the policy team (especially Legislative Affairs and Stakeholder Engagement), as well as cross-functional colleagues in Legal, Comms, and Data, to craft a comprehensive strategy for state and local stakeholders, including supervisory authorities and industry associations.
This role’s leadership responsibilities include:
- Shaping the policy environment and narrative around crypto at the state and local levels, in alignment with the company’s overall policy strategy.
- Establishing Coinbase as a thought leader in crypto and financial services, with particular expertise on how crypto initiatives do and can promote the different state and local economies
- Identifying and engaging on legislative, regulatory, and industry risks and opportunities that optimally position the company’s reputation with state and local policymakers
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Cultivate relationships with key legislators who are allies of crypto currency, and advocate before relevant elected officials and public entities including governors, state legislators and regulators, and state and local agencies.
- Identify and collaborate with contacts at relevant local and state level associations, including the North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA), Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS), and all the state-level crypto and blockchain associations
- Develop and implement political and policy issue campaigns and strategies to advance Coinbase’s state and legislative priorities across 50 states.
- Establish and implement strategies to communicate policy positions to key state and local government constituencies.
- Oversee and monitor state regulatory actions and state initiatives that affect the crypto industry at large and develop swift responses to protect industry efforts and improve the regulatory climate.
- Leverage resources at the state lobbyist level to advance Coinbase’s public policy objectives.
- Launch pilot projects focused on advocacy, education and thought leadership with state, local, and grassroots stakeholders.
- Oversee budget and resource plans for the state and local government affairs team.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Masters level or equivalent professional qualification
- 10+ years experience leading a team
- Subject matter expert on state & local legislative issues affecting the crypto industry
- Broad understanding of traditional finance
- Demonstrated experience in providing strategic leadership and counsel on state and local government affairs
- Exceptional negotiation skills, and interpersonal, written & verbal dexterity
- Skilled at interacting effectively with all levels of management, regulators and policy makers
- High EQ and a passion for acting like an owner
- Willingness to travel across the 50 US state
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado, is $289,000 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations@ coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact accommodations@ coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-12-22