Director, State and Local Relations
We all need energy. It warms our homes, cooks our food, gives us light, and gets us where we need to go. It also improves our quality of life in countless other ways. At TC Energy, our job is to deliver that energy to millions of people who depend on it across North America. And we take our job very seriously.
Guided by our values of safety, integrity, responsibility and collaboration, we develop and operate our facilities safely, reliably and with care for our impact on the environment. With our presence across the continent, our people play an active role in building strong communities.
We’re proud of how our hard work and commitment sets us apart and benefits society, every day. We’re looking for new team members who share our values and are ready to take on exciting challenges.
As part of the Public Affairs and Communications leadership team of a leading energy infrastructure company, the Director of State and Local Relations will develop and implement engagement strategies for state and local across North America – leading a team of over 20 professionals and contractors geographically dispersed.
This position is responsible for managing complex political issues for a publicly traded company. The successful candidate will work closely, collaboratively and effectively with over 100 members of the public affairs, government relations and communications/engagement teams.
The Director of State and Local Relations will play a key role in ensuring that we deliver messages effectively, engage key stakeholders and deliver on the company’s key projects and initiatives.
What you will do
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to the state, local and community relations team and plan for staffing and succession
- Develop, implement and manage strategic, integrated engagement strategies that are aligned with business objectives and compliment complement our communications efforts
- Mitigate risks by proactively planning, communicating and preparing for potential threats and provide crisis engagement efforts and leadership support to the organization
- Work closely with the U.S. federal relations team on issues that overlap state and local matters
- Provide ongoing engagement advice to senior executives and business unit leaders, developing and directing a resource strategy using internal experts and external service providers to meet the demands of the business
- Lead and further develop a team of highly engaged and effective employees and contractors who support the delivery business results
- Oversee department budget by monitoring, managing the process
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Administration or related disciplines. Graduate degree a plus
- 10 to 15 years experience in externally-facing communications, public affairs/government relations or business strategy functions — preferably with 5+ years with a publicly traded company
- 24/7 availability for emerging issues and incident response – primary business hours are required, but some evening and weekend work will be necessary
- Demonstrated leadership experience of a large group of professionals and external consultants – preferably with a geographically dispersed team
- Government-issued driver’s license and passport — although the position is primarily based in United States, with travel (up to 50%) across the country, occasional travel to Canada and Mexico may be required
- Results-oriented and effective relationship builder – with high-caliber written and oral communications skills and ability to connect with key stakeholders at all levels
- Creative thinker that works well in a team environment
- Ability to develop strategies, make difficult decisions, and take responsibility for a high-profile portfolio
- Strong and inspiring leader – effective and comfortable working with, developing and growing a diverse and dynamic team
- Ability to connect with employees — establishing and maintaining effective, positive relationships at all levels of the organization
- Adapt quickly and effectively to changing environment
- Strong organization skills with an emphasis on tactical delivery that’s aligned with big picture strategy
About our business
TC Energy is a leading energy infrastructure company in North America. We have three complementary businesses of natural gas pipelines, liquids (oil) pipelines, and power generation. Our operations span three countries, seven Canadian provinces, and 34 U.S. states.
TC Energy is an equal opportunity employer.
Visit us at TCEnergy.com and connect with us on our social media channels for our latest news, employee stories, community activities, and other updates.
Thank you for choosing TC Energy in your career search.
Job posted: 2020-03-01