Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of State Policy & Government Relations
Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, a national law firm of 600+ employees, seeks a Director of State Policy & Government Relations to join our Government Relations team. The Director will work closely with the members of Early Care and Education Consortium (ECEC) and will be based in our Washington, D.C. office.
The following are examples of responsibilities and functions the Director will be involved with:
- Help drive and build ECEC’s state policy expertise and value to ECEC members, partners, and the media:
- Manage state bill tracking tool for members and create high-level analysis of state policy and regulation trends and hot issues. MUST have familiarity and experience using software to manage, track, and analyze state legislation and regulation.
- Prepare trend analysis reports based on recent legislation and regulations. MUST be able to write a trend analysis report based on analysis of state regulations and legislation.
- Draft comment letters in response to proposed regulation. MUST have experience or familiarity with drafting comment letters.
- Be able to react to and lead a response
- Develop and coordinate resources to amplify state advocacy and legislative strategies. Lead state advocacy plans for key target states.
- Continue to develop and improve state advocacy toolkit.
- Develop model state legislation, key talking points, and other resources.
- Manage Daily News Clips for ECEC members and partners. MUST have familiarity using bgov, fiscal note, politico pro, or google alerts to set up alerts based on key search terms.
- Develop and maintain a network of state-based members, advocates, and decision makers. MUST have some familiarity with various advocacy groups in the early education space.
- Drive and build ECEC’s visibility, credibility, and reputation with ECEC members, partners, and state and federal policymakers:
- Help coordinate Advocacy Days on Capitol Hill for Members. MUST have experience with either federal or state advocacy.
- Increase the awareness of Members of Congress, their staff, and appropriate Administration officials to ECEC and its agenda.
- Attend relevant Committee meetings and hearings.
- Provide introductions and access for ECEC Board and staff members to Congress, their staff, and Administration officials.
- Prepare and conduct briefings and/or other types of meetings on Capitol Hill for Congress Members and their staff.
- Develop materials, such as white papers and policy briefs.
- Design and deliver presentations to Board members, potential funders, and other stakeholders.
- Provide periodic outreach and response to current members and member prospects using social media, infographics, action alerts, surveys and innovative outreach processes and strategies.
- Collect and analyze current Member information to demonstrate depth, breadth and quality of ECEC members.
- Research and analyze policy options of interest to ECEC Members and the business community, e.g. mixed delivery of pre-K programs, pre-K funding and child care funding distribution models, unit/service based costing models for child care slots, child care state tax credits, scholarships/vouchers, social impactbonds; teacher qualifications links to classroom quality andchild outcomes.
- Prepare media statements and serve as a spokesperson to the media on legislative developments as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- 3-5+ years’ of experience in early education or education more broadly
- Law degree a plus, but not required
- Familiarity with either state or federal legislative process
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Organized with a professional demeanor
Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck offers a benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, 401k + match, profit sharing, and vacation/sick/personal time off. We are offering a wide range salary for this role as our salary will match up with the years of experience the successful candidate possesses, ranging from $120,000 – $145,000.
Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck is an equal opportunity employer.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-08-23