Director – State Public Affairs
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Director for its Public Affairs team to support its state advocacy communications activities and broader public affairs efforts. The individual will work across the Public Affairs team and across the organization to develop, execute and track public affairs and communications strategies for key state advocacy priorities. These priorities are organizationally cross-cutting and require a high degree of organization, collaboration and subject matter expertise on issues related to health care, prescription drug costs, the pharmaceutical supply chain, research and development and others. This position is both internally and externally facing.
The Director will oversee a defined region of states and be responsible for:
- Developing and executing public affairs strategies for state advocacy priorities;
- Creating impactful messaging and communications materials, including blog posts, op-eds, letters to the editor, press releases, talking points, presentations and other materials;
- Leading proactive and reactive media engagement;
- Working with and managing consultants;
- Understanding the legislative, political and advocacy dynamics in key states;
- Collaborating with and providing support for internal and cross-departmental teams.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive and collaborative leader who is passionate about influencing today’s health care debate and the challenges the biopharmaceutical industry faces. Key success factors for this role include:
- A campaign mentality with a bias for action;
- Creative problem solver able to prioritize or shift gears quickly and be comfortable in a high-pressure environment;
- Strategic thinker with ability to assess complex problems and propose solutions;
- A keen understanding of state-level politics and policymaking;
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to convey digestible content in an audience-appropriate manner;
- Self-starter, organized, detail-oriented, and responsive;
- Demonstrated leadership, sound judgment, vision and integrity.
- Ability to plan, implement and manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet short non-negotiable timelines;
- Ability to inspire confidence within the organization and with external constituencies.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 5+ years of diverse communications experience including significant media engagement and public affairs campaign management;
- Proven management of complex issues, projects, tasks, requests and timelines;
- State-focused experience within corporate, government, public relations agency, trade association, and/or advocacy organization(s) or political campaigns;
- Must be comfortable working for a non-partisan organization;
- Must be willing to travel up to 40%, a majority of which will be based on state legislative calendars, and be responsive/available after hours and on weekends.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested nearly $1 trillion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $83 billion in 2019 alone.
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary and bonus program, various opportunities for reward and recognition and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, a wellbeing program, back-up care, health advocate service, employee assistance program and commuting benefits. We also offer a robust 401k plan with employer contributions upon the first day of hire and immediate vesting, a generous paid time off plan, seven paid holidays (plus inauguration day), half day Fridays preceding holidays and a paid winter break.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities including an integrated on-boarding program, best-in-class leadership programming, tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, and other management/professional development programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities, fundraising drives and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
As the trade association for several leading biopharmaceutical companies, our workforce and culture should reflect the makeup of our clients and the benefactors of our efforts – patients. We at PhRMA are committed to building a culture where diverse people, ideas, and experiences are welcomed, included, and celebrated; where our employees can thrive as they bring their best authentic selves to work every day. PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-14