Director, State Regulatory Affairs
DIRECTOR, STATE REGULATORY AFFAIRS
The Director of State Regulatory Affairs is responsible for leading Cox’s advocacy efforts before state public utilities commission and other state regulatory agencies, assisting in the development of regulatory policies at the state and federal level, executing strategies to help ensure regulatory and legislative measures align with company business objectives and advising business leaders of applicable regulations affecting operations. The Director remains knowledgeable of applicable state and federal regulations and laws; and responds to emerging issues to either remove barriers that impede, or leverage opportunities that enhance, business growth and achievement of company goals.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Represent the company’s interests before regulatory agencies to ensure optimal operating environment
- Maintain good relationships with state regulatory commissioners, staff, and other industry personnel
- Effectively communicate Cox positions to regulators. Must be comfortable preparing and delivering communications orally and in writing at various levels, including to Commissioners
- Testifies, negotiates, and assists in preparation and presentation of issues before regulatory and legislative bodies
- Identifies and develops long-range regulatory objectives and strategies aligned with goals of the company
- Responsible for assisting with development and implementation of regulatory policies and practices in collaboration with company’s Regulatory Policy and Operations teams
- Provides business partners and leadership analysis of economic, operational and political impacts of regulatory decisions and proposed regulations and legislation
- Work closely with Cox Government Affairs and Public Affairs personnel to ensure consistency with Cox representation at local and state government.
- Oversee and ensure timely filing of all required regulatory papers, including tariffs, periodic regulatory reports, responses to interrogatories, and data requests.
- Supervises a Regulatory Analyst responsible for Company compliance with applicable regulations, resolution of informal customer complaints and company participation in public interest programs.
- Manage outside attorneys and consultants, and coordinate efforts with Cox’s internal legal counsel to maximize efficient use of Company resources in managing Cox involvement in regulatory or judicial proceedings
- Assist in review of customer contact documents, marketing materials, scripts, etc., in light of regulatory concerns, applicable state regulations and statutes. Assist in preparation of training of marketing, sales, operations and customer service personnel on regulatory requirements, changes applicable rules as needed to ensure knowledge of pertinent regulations and continued compliance.
- Maintain awareness of activities and dockets at the federal and state regulatory level for all Cox states, as well as other key issues
- Coordinate resolution of informal disputes or process problems with other communications providers and utilities.
- Operate in a team culture that functions through collaboration and open communication, and is committed to providing support, engagement and respect to each member.
- BS/BA degree required. Degree in related discipline strongly desired
- 10 or more years of experience required in related field in communications regulatory affairs, working for a communications company, law firm, public utilities commission or other government agency
- Experience working with all levels of the organization, particularly mid- and senior-level executives
- Strong written and verbal skills, ability to adapt communication to different target audiences
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, presentation, and collaborative skills to work effectively with leadership and teams across the organization
- Requires high level of discretion and confidentiality; ability to deal with ambiguity and influencing without direct authority
- Experience in strategy, planning and delivery of internal and external campaigns
- Strong ability to execute and manage projects and details with minimal oversight
- Demonstrates strong awareness of business and organization sensitivity and adapts communication accordingly
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and exhibit professionalism under pressure
- Strong influencing and problem-solving skills
- Excellent proficiency with MS Office (i.e. excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.)
- Willingness and ability to travel within the United States
- Travel to regulatory agencies, as often as needed
- J.D, MBA or other relevant advanced degree
- 5 or more years of experience in a management role or leading cross functional projects
Who We Are
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is committed to creating meaningful moments of human connection through broadband applications and services. The largest private telecom company in America, we proudly serve six million homes and businesses across 18 states. We’re dedicated to empowering others to build a better future and celebrate diverse products, people, suppliers, communities and the characteristics that makes each one unique.
We are the Cox family of businesses. We’ve been making our mark since 1898 by building and evolving world-class businesses, staying true to our values, and encouraging top talent to always look for growth and impact while building a career with us. Our primary divisions – Cox Communications and Cox Automotive – are driving a new wave of innovation, powering smart cities with powerhouse broadband communications and pioneering greener, more progressive transportation alternatives for individuals and fleet operators. We’re also expanding into new spaces like cleantech and healthcare to rev up our momentum toward building a better future for the next generation. We’re looking for the talent today who will be our leaders tomorrow. Sound intriguing? Learn more about where we are today, where we hope you’ll be going with us, and the common purpose that unites us at coxenterprises.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer – All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-25