Director-State Relations(Job Number: 0180100)
Job Purpose: Promote Georgia Tech’s strategic vision and goals related to state funding and legislation affecting the Institute. Identify and develop opportunities to increase the Institute’s visibility, influence and support with state decision makers, the Georgia Chamber and Metro Atlanta Chamber, and the higher education community at large. In consultation with the Institute President and senior management, develop specific state funding priorities and education priorities consistent with the Institute’s overall mission as well as plans for executing these priorities. Work in a cohesive manner with the USG to promote USG priorities.
- Develop Institute wide strategies and advocate to secure state funding priorities.
- Manage policy approaches for issues that broadly affect higher education. Monitor and analyze state legislation for GA and other states impacting higher education activities. Identify opportunities relevant to the Institutes strategic objectives and recommend strategies for engaging Georgia Tech.
- Provide direct staff support to the Institutes President in individual meetings with legislative leadership, Governor and Lieutenant Governor. Recruit and engage faculty experts to provide testimony to legislative committees.
- Advise senior Institute administrators, deans, school directors, research faculty, and staff on higher education and research legislation, program development, and marketing. Serve as Government & Community Relation’s state relations spokesperson presenting GT’s state relations perspective to campus units and organizations.
- Manage Georgia Tech’s legislative advocacy network of alumni and friends in support of securing funding priorities.
- Represent GT at external government relations engagements in support of GT priorities. Represent the Institute in interactions with legislative members and staff, state agencies, Chambers of Commerce, higher education associations, coalitions and other constituencies.
- Track, evaluate and summarize legislation and policy impactful to higher education. Prepare issue papers, oral and written presentations and communications for Institute staff and elected officials.
- Manage Georgia Tech’s state government internship program (Georgia Legislative Internship Program) and the student participants.
- Arrange campus visits between state government leaders, legislators, staff, and campus colleagues to educate our elected officials on the research and instructional programs on campus as well as provide interaction with students in a classroom environment.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Work Experience: Six to eight or more years of progressive job related experience
- Certifications: N/A
- Skills: Excellent communication and customer service skills. In depth knowledge of state legislative and budget process. Existing high-level legislative and state agency relationships. Ability to work collaboratively within groups with differing priorities. Ability to self-manage and adapt to constantly changing priorities. High regard among state stakeholders. Ability to lead as well as participate in committee and group gatherings. Excellent time management skills.
- Preferred Education: Master’s degree in public administration/public policy or equivalent.
- Preferred Work Experience: Preferred work experience related to the Georgia State Capitol and/or the University System of Georgia.
- Preferred Certifications: N/A
- Preferred Skills: N/A
Impact & Influence: This position will interact on a consistent basis with: Georgia Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Speaker, USG leadership, Georgia Tech’s executive leadership, faculty, and staff. This position typically will advise and counsel: GT President, Vice President- Government & Community Relations, Leadership, Deans, Department heads, faculty, students. This position will supervise: interns.
Department Description Every day, we carry out Georgia Tech’s motto of Progress and Service
Georgia Tech’s Office of Government and Community Relations works to build relationships with local and state leaders to foster a platform of support that allows Georgia Tech to achieve its strategic goals.
Through campus visits, district visits, and briefings at the State Capitol and on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., each day we share knowledge and support, and showcase Georgia Tech’s tradition of excellence.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-09-09