Director of Strategic Communications
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, YOU MUST COMPLETE OUR APPLICATION AT THIS LINK:https://form.typeform.com/to/EWyTzM71
About the Organization:
The National Association for Family, School, and Community Engagement (NAFSCE) was established in September 2014, with the mission of advancing high-impact policies and practices for family, school, and community engagement to promote child development and improve student achievement. NAFSCE envisions a world where family engagement is universally practiced as an essential strategy for improving children’s learning, and advancing equity.
NAFSCE Executive Director
Role of the Director of Strategic Communications:
This position is responsible for developing and executing a strategic communications and outreach plan that advances the mission and vision of NAFSCE and our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. The Director will be responsible for the management of all external communication vehicles; supporting effective outreach to NAFSCE’s partners, funders, members, and stakeholders; and compelling their interest, support, and engagement. This position will lead fund development efforts including managing a collaborative team effort in the identification, development, and submission of grant proposals, as well as grant reports. The Director will work closely with the Executive Director, providing counsel on a range of organization-wide priorities. The successful candidate’s exceptional writing skills will be evident through foundation and government grants developed, as well as op-ed and other writing which advances influence, supports mindset shifts, and galvanizes stakeholders. His/her commitment to teamwork and support of a collaborative and results-oriented culture will reinforce the core values of the association, and the sustained growth of NAFSCE.
- Develop and implement a multi-channel, integrated communications and marketing strategy that increases awareness of and engagement with NAFSCE’s strategic initiatives.
- Create and implement a strategy to use social media to advance strategic goals, develop and oversee staff in creating and distributing content and messaging via social media channels, and increase followers and engagement.
- In collaboration with staff across the organization, assist with the conception, production, and successful release of multiple forms of content, including flagship reports, other research, blog posts, emails, and others.
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to amplify programs and projects.
- Provide strategic and tactical advice to staff to help them improve their written products.
- Manage the organization’s editorial calendar.
- Oversee the enhancement of NAFSCE’s brand, including the utilization of graphics, taglines, etc.
- Maximize media coverage and interest in NAFSCE through the implementation of effective media relations strategies, including the development and dissemination of media releases and events, when appropriate.
- Supervise a Manager of Communications as well as communications consultants and interns, when opportunities avail themselves, to increase the overall communications capacity of the association.
- Participate in ongoing strategic conversations with the Executive Director and NAFSCE Board to advance the mission and vision of NAFSCE.
- Additional or adjusted responsibilities, as necessary, through the evolution of NAFSCE, and through ongoing conversations with the Executive Director.
- Research and identify sources of funding; maintain a prospect database.
- Oversee the drafting of proposals for grants; grant reporting and case statements.
- Support the reporting requirements for funded grants, working closely with NAFSCE’s Executive Director.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Engagement to develop and implement member recruitment and retention-related communications and outreach.
- Test innovative and creative membership concepts targeted at new audiences to grow the NAFSCE member base.
- Masters Degree in Communications or related field is preferred
- Experience working with families of low-income backgrounds, diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, and educational institutions
- Experience advancing early childhood and/or K-12 education issues preferred
- Minimum of at least seven years experience in a Director of Communications or similar position
- Grant writing experience
- Proficiency in utilizing Microsoft Office and Communications software programs
- Other appropriate combination of academic and work experience
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $85,000.00 – $100,000.00 per year
The NAFSCE team is working remotely until further notice. Upon return to the office, the position will be located in our Alexandria, VA office, with the flexibility to work remotely part-time.
Job posted: 2021-10-05