Director of Strategic Engagement
ACS seeks an energetic, detailed, and adaptable Director of Strategic Engagement to
help lead the organization’s work on a combination of judicial nominations, ACS’s
career pipeline, and cultivation of public officials, including judges and legislators in
ACS’s network. This position reports to the Vice President of Strategic Engagement.
The Director of Strategic Engagement portfolio includes:
• Building and cultivating relationships in the executive, legislative and judicial
branches at the federal, state, and local level, as well as with partner organizations, to
further ACS’s work on judicial nominations and related issues;
• Managing ACS’s Path to the Bench program to identify progressive lawyers for the
bench and other key roles.
• Liaising with ACS’s national network as well as colleagues in Network Advancement
and Policy and Program to arrange events, conference calls, briefings, and media
outreach related to building the pipeline and on judicial nominations;
• Serving on the team to assist students and lawyers to secure jobs and clerkships as a
key part of pipeline building.
• Overseeing communications for internal and external audiences, such as Op-Eds,
Letters to the Editor, emails, talking points, and briefing documents, and work closely
with the Communications team to disseminate information on the courts and related
• Assisting in managing the Strategic Engagement Fellow, who assists with all of the
needs of the department.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS The ideal candidate will possess many of the following
qualifications and personal attributes:
• Demonstrated ability to communicate with a variety of audiences, internally and
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact with high profile individuals with
• Excellent writing skills across a variety of contexts;
• Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail;
1 This work can be conducted remotely while the ACS office is closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic. When the
office re-opens, the candidate would need to work from the Washington, DC office.
• The ability to manage multiple projects at once and change direction as needed;
• Sense of humor;
• Self-motivation with ability to work independently while recognizing role on a
• Knowledge of current legal and public policy issues;
• Our office is currently working remotely, but when operations resume, some travel
for meetings and events will be required;
• JD required
Salary is commensurate with experience and includes a comprehensive benefits
ACS values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. ACS encourages applications
from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status,
citizenship, disability, and veteran status. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling
basis until the position is filled. Interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter,
resume, and short (no more than 10 pages) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org
(Attention: Office Manager).
Job posted: 2020-11-19