Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Sustainability & Public Policy
San Jose, CA
Director of Sustainability & Public Policy
Be at the forefront of sustainable renewable energy storage via solid-state batteries and disruptive additive manufacturing fields.
Headquartered in San Jose, California, Sakuu is reinventing large-scale, sustainable battery technology and manufacturing. Sakuu’s breakthrough battery cells deliver best-in-class performance and safety in a recyclable format. Sakuu’s solid-state batteries will be produced entirely through the transformative Kavian™ platform in custom or large factory settings, which enables rapid, 3D-printed, high-volume, low-cost, and sustainable battery production to meet mass-market demand. Beyond energy, Sakuu’s Kavian™ 3D printing platform invites transformative device manufacturing in other sectors, including aerospace and automotive, consumer electronics, IoT and medical.
We are seeking an experienced and proven sustainability leader to oversee all elements of Sakuu’s corporate sustainability—from product life cycle to carbon footprint of facilities—and everything in-between. Sustainability is central to our the Sakuu mission—it’s why we exist. Therefore, this position will assume the critical role of assessing, analyzing, compiling, and ultimately communicating the quantitative and qualitative sustainability benefits of Sakuu’s solid-state battery line and 3D printing manufacturing platform.
Ultimately, this person will develop and implement an industry-leading sustainability program. Further, as Sakuu expands its manufacturing facilities footprint, with the creation of battery Gigafactories around the globe, the Director of Sustainability & Public Policy will play an integral role in providing guidance as to best practices towards having as minimal environmental harm as is feasible, across all possible corporate touchpoints—while also engaging with regional, state and local government. This is a senior level position will be responsible for building their team from the ground-up, with the opportunity to influence strategy and decision making. In the beginning, this position will report to the VP of Marketing, working lock-in-step with the Director of Marketing Communications, while simultaneously building their own independent business unit—Sustainability—within Sakuu.
· Advance all knowledge with Sakuu to do the least environmental harm possible, while communicating the inherent sustainability benefits of our products
· Rigorously analyze and quantify Sakuu’s sustainability benefits, carbon footprint, and life cycle analysis across all products, with impact, risks, and improvement.
· Be the internal and external voice of all matters regarding to sustainability within the company.
· Lead and own sustainability top-level analysis and recommendations of the battery, manufacturing platform, facilities, supply chain, and battery recycling initiatives. Work closely with each respective team and business unit.
· Stay informed of all industry best of practice sustainability initiatives while generating creative new practices and sustainability initiatives to spearhead.
· Grow a network of client and industry relationships to work in conjunction with the marketing department to develop co-branded relationships that advance sustainability agenda in a collective mindset.
· Work closely with regional and local government representatives and manufacturing facilities architects and design firms towards developing sustainability assessments and minimal footprint use.
· A commitment to promoting and supporting an environment of diversity and inclusion
· Other duties may also be assigned as the team grows with potential for management opportunities
· Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, sit, and use a telephone, stand/walk
· May require working flexible hours, including nights and weekends
· BS/MS/MBA Degree in Environmental Studies/Sustainability or related field
· Minimum 2 years of experience as Manager/ Director / VP in related field
· Strong background in analyzing, assessing, and proposing environmental impact and sustainability recommendations across product lines, facilities, and company.
· Experience with environmental impact in audit, testing and certification process and partners
· Excellent organizational and leadership skills and willingness and advance sustainability directives to the executive leadership team
· Proven history of self-starting and growing a team and building a business unit
· Bias towards flexibility and being able to pivot, collaborate across divisions and unify teams and the greater company around a common goal
· Demonstrate critical thinking and analytic skills towards presenting and implementing key findings—and then implementing them
· Superior written and oral communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail and the ability to articulate a compelling case for senior leadership teams, to media, and the outside world
· Team player, readiness to travel to company sites around the globe
· Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced, flexible, interdisciplinary environment
Job posted: 2022-05-10