Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples’ lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.
We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
To lead the strategic development of Feeding America’s thought-leadership efforts to promote the organization, its executives and subject matter experts, and issues relating to hunger in America as well as to help guide the national media relations strategy for the organization in coordination with network food banks across the country. Participate in all aspects of Feeding America’s external relations efforts, including communicating with consumer press regarding legislative issues, and work closely with the Marketing and Government Relations teams as well as executive leadership.
- Initiates, plans, develops, and manages the execution of thought-leadership communications strategies to support organizational objectives while maintaining and increasing the organization’s awareness among key constituencies, including mass and trade media, grasstops, regulators and lawmakers on the state and federal levels.
- Works with senior management to identify topics of interest and speakers to market as keynote and session speakers at major association, education, government meetings and conferences.
- Secures speaking engagements for senior-level executives to help increase the organization’s thought-leadership positioning.
- Leads the outreach strategy and develops media briefing materials for the CEO and executive subject matter experts for thought-leadership-related activities and stories.
- Drafts and edits communications materials including media statements, topline messages, backgrounders, fact sheets, speeches/presentations, press releases, media pitches, editorial pieces, social media content and other communication materials for targeted audiences.
- Works closely with relevant departments on organization partnerships and campaigns, coordinating media plans, briefings or related events.
- Ensures media and communication strategies are targeted toward key audiences and achieve measurement objectives.
- Works closely with Government Relations and external consultants to design and implement an annual communications strategy, including strategic media relations planning as well as swift response execution.
- Conducts outreach to Hill publications and reporters who cover issues that align with Feeding America’s legislative priorities.
- Works with the organization’s Director of Advocacy to execute an annual advocacy communications strategy to help shape messaging for the general public.
- Plans and supports policy-related media events and briefings.
- Drafts or reviews consumer-facing advocacy messaging and digital copy for related policy issues and media toolkits.
- Consults with teammates and network members on consumer or mass media outreach activities, story development, local advocacy strategies and issues management, as needed.
- Serves as an organizational spokesperson, demonstrating a strong executive presence with media partners.
- Directs, prepares and/or coaches staff in advance of news announcements to promote the activities and programs.
- Builds and cultivates strong partnerships with cross-functional and network partners, providing strategic counsel on day-to-day issues, as well as help foster a team environment by collaborating with teammates and other colleagues.
- Based in Washington, DC with 25% travel required.
- Cover letter with resume is required.
- BA/BS degree required with 12+ years media relations experience in a major human service organization, public relations firm, government role or major corporation.
- Superb oral and written communication skills, specifically for interacting with the media, donors, the general public, network members, community groups and senior management, and as evidenced by an excellent track record of placed stories, op-ed columns, features, etc.
- Proven ability to manage media interviews for senior executives, including national television, radio, print, online media and trade publications.
- Strong project management skills and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong news sense and proficiency in the use media clipping searches, PR Newswire, and emerging tactics.
- Strong understanding of and experience in public policy including communication at the grassroots, state and federal levels.
- Personal leadership skills and management experience.
- Proficient in MS Office.
- Committed to organizational mission of ending hunger.
Job Posted: February 13, 2017