Director, U.S. Executive Communications
McDonald’s is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
From drive thru updates to delivery to mobile order and pay, we are innovating quickly and growing. Joining McDonald’s means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald’s, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every single requirement!
McDonald’s Global Impact team is aligned around a mission to make McDonald’s one of the most respected, trusted, and admired brands in the world. We will do this through actions to drive responsible business growth, investments to foster community, values-based advocacy, and compelling communications that matter to our customers, our System and our global partners. Read more about our Purpose & Impact here.
We are looking for a Director, Executive Communications, who will lead the effort to mobilize the voices of our most senior U.S. leaders. Reporting to the Senior Director of U.S. System Communications, the new hire in this role will be responsible for determining how best to articulate the U.S. business narrative in a consistent and authentic manner for the U.S. President as well as other leaders across the U.S. Senior Leadership Team.
In this role, you will:
- Partner with the U.S. System Communications team to build the overall U.S. narrative and modify on a quarterly basis depending on business need. Work with leaders across the organization – both at MHQ and in the Field – to embed this narrative across all communication points.
- Lead the creation of a proactive internal and external communications strategy for the U.S. President to drive the overall U.S. narrative into the organization and externally where it makes sense.
- Internally: develop messaging for owner/operators, employees and suppliers, and many subsets of each. This also includes developing content (bullet points or speeches) for key meetings, System events / webcasts, town halls, etc.
- Externally: select and pursue high impact speaking opportunities based on business priorities and work with the Media team to develop and execute a strategic media engagement program.
- Social: create social media strategies for the U.S. President
- Government Relations: partner with the head of Government Relations to figure out best visibility and outreach approach to build the necessary relationship on Capital Hill and beyond.
- Provide support around reactive issues management where a U.S. leadership voice is required to safeguard the company’s reputation. In partnership with others in Global Impact, gather relevant information and messaging materials to draft leadership communications.
- Work with the U.S. System Communications team to determine how to deploy key executive voices internally to strengthen our overall communications approach and support for key business priorities.
- Write and guide development of other U.S. executive communications on topics ranging from key System decisions, issues, announcements, or proactive business updates. Work includes researching, developing, and editing speech content, presentations, videos, memos, talking points, and other communication materials.
- Partner with teams across Global Impact to leverage – where appropriate – key U.S. executive voices in key external events, media statements, and partner relations.
- Exceptional written and verbal skills, including a demonstrated ability to translate sophisticated information into concepts that are more easily understood
- Journalism, English, Communications, Public Relations, Business or related degree
- Ability to interact with, lead, and influence cross-functional teams & agency partners, and work in a matrixed environment
- Deep communications expertise that spans both external and internal subject areas
- Consistent track record of driving successful, insight-based, creative communications programs that delivered against brand business objectives, on time and within budget
McDonald’s is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald’s provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Job posted: 2021-07-28