Director U.S. Federal Government Relations
Director U.S. Federal Government Relations
We are the world’s learning company with more than 24,000 employees operating in 70 countries. We combine world-class educational content and assessment, powered by services and technology, to enable more effective teaching and personalized learning at scale. We believe that wherever learning flourishes so do people.
● Responsible for the development and implementation of an integrated federal government relations plan focused on maintaining and building our relationships with key political and institutional stakeholders in our U.S. market.
● Responsible for developing effective messaging and expertise as an ambassador of Pearson’s various lines of business.
● Responsible for serving as primary point of contact responsible for working with appropriate teams internally to address inquiries from, or communications to, key U.S. officials.
● Responsible for tracking, analyzing and reporting on relevant legislation and regulatory proceedings and assist in the drafting and delivery of oral and written remarks and recommending / leading an appropriate response plan.
● Responsible for serving as Pearson’s principal representative/liaison to major Washington, DC-based trade associations, informing Pearson business leaders of issues in play and coordinating Pearson’s feedback or comments on issues to inform the Associations’ public comments, testimonies and position statements pm behalf of the Sector.
● Keep current with privacy legislation and industry trends, analyze and communicate potential impacts to existing business practices.
● Accountable for a regular, auditable update to our U.S. political risk profile, promoting awareness of, and basis for mitigating, political/regulatory risks
● Accountable for working with Pearson legal counsel to ensure full compliance with quarterly and semi-annual federal lobby disclosure reporting requirements – including compiling and maintenance of appropriate supporting documentation for the audit file.
Essential Skills /Experience
● Extensive experience in a similar leadership role in government relations or education policy
● Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience with federal legislative, executive and public-policymaking bodies including Federal government experience on Capitol Hill or in the Executive Branch, preferably in political position
● Ability to effectively deliver information, and explain, advocate and negotiate positions and issues to a broad spectrum of individuals required.
● Demonstrated track record of outstanding advocacy, communications and negotiations skills required
● Ability to work under tight deadlines, with little or no supervision required
● Demonstrated ability to develop and cultivate relationships with key associations/agencies and key government leaders, especially in the education/workforce industry space
● Knowledge of and experience in state, federal and global data privacy issues.
● Undergraduate Degree (or equivalent) preferred
● Strong written and oral communication skills are essential.
● Must be eligible to successfully register as a Federal lobbyist.
● A proven track record of:
● Developing and Leveraging Relationships – Ideally, you will arrive with extensive knowledge of federal government operations, working knowledge of education policy issues, relationships across the federal government, and a track record of excellent internal stakeholder management at all levels—enabling you to be a trusted advisor to the company leadership.
● Communication – Strong written and oral communication skills are essential. You have solid interpersonal skills and use these to influence outcomes with persuasiveness, candor and respect. You appreciate the diversity of stakeholder interactions and adapt your style and approach accordingly. You have a demonstrable track record as a successful educator, advocate or lobbyist.
● Analytical Skill and Learning Agility – You take a systematic, structured view of situations, while staying focused on the big picture. You have the capacity to be open to new ideas and working collaboratively. You have capacity to research and spot opportunities or risk to the company or U.S. learners in legislative or regulatory policy proposals – and ability to summarize these orally and in writing to executives internally
and policymakers externally and propose next step action plans.
● Broad GR Perspective – You have significant experience operating in a global environment- including supporting the work of Pearson’s key business units at the state and global levels – for example by coordinating DC-based trade association support on state or international government issues impacting the company or learners.
● Business Acumen – Experience, insight and knowledge mean you can understand market potential, understand political risk and opportunity and translate this into strategic GR work that supports the corporate strategy in support of learners.
● Judgment – You demonstrate sound judgement in assessing business risks and make decisions that balance a variety of factors while always maintaining the integrity of the company’s core values and business strategy. As Pearson’s ambassador to federal officials with views spanning the political spectrum you are prepared, respectful and exercise sound judgment in all your work.
● Change Management Capability – Demonstrate record of supporting positive change and helping an organization achieve a high-degree of productivity.
● Deliver Results – You have a track record of achievement, understanding complex issues, translating strategies into actionable plans, and implementing them in an organized manner with regular updates to GR team members and others.
● Brave – Resilient and operates effectively under pressure and tight deadlines, independently and as a team member.
● Accountable – Demonstrates integrity & delivers what is promised.
● Decent – represents Pearson’s values and believes in the company mission; is a trusted confidant to colleagues and external sources.
● Imaginative – thinks creatively, using insights, to improve work and tell Pearson story in a compelling manner.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-28