Director, U.S. Government Affairs, Cloud Policy for the U.S.
SAP started in 1972 as a team of five colleagues with a desire to do something new. Together, they changed enterprise software and reinvented how business was done. Today, as a market leader in enterprise application software, we remain true to our roots. That’s why we engineer solutions to fuel innovation, foster equality and spread opportunity for our employees and customers across borders and cultures.
SAP values the entrepreneurial spirit, fostering creativity and building lasting relationships with our employees. We know that a diverse and inclusive workforce keeps us competitive and provides opportunities for all. We believe that together we can transform industries, grow economics, lift up societies and sustain our environment. Because it’s the best-run businesses that make the world run better and improve people’s lives.
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES
SAP’s Government Affairs division carries out the advocacy and lobbying efforts in markets where it does business. Government Affairs is part of the SAP Global Government Affairs Department which positions SAP and our leaders as before influential government audiences on select, highly relevant topics and to support SAP´s business objectives. Our core priorities include public policy; business support and thought leadership. The Director of U.S. Government Affairs, U.S. Cloud Policy will join a growing, dynamic team and be able to immediately and directly enhance SAP’s advocacy in support of SAP’s cloud computing business. This position reporting directly to the Vice President, Head of U.S. Government Affairs will play a critical and highly visible role for our team that will create, execute, and manage key issues as a senior lobbyist focused on cloud, telecommunications, and sustainability public policies in the United States.
EXPECTATIONS AND TASKS
- The Director of U.S. Government Affairs, U.S. Cloud Public Policy, will work closely with our SAP Public Sector and SAP Cloud teams and our global government affairs teams on policy issues impacting our U.S. business with a focus on cloud computing, telecommunications, and sustainability.
- Become familiar with SAP Cloud’s business and interface directly with SAP Cloud colleagues responsible for our business in the United States.
- Responsible for the development and execution of SAP Cloud’s public policy and government affairs strategy in the U.S. and work with policy makers, IT executives in government and in other organizations and key influencers to advance SAP Cloud’s public policy and business objectives.
- This role will also coordinate and represent SAP in strategic industry associations and address policy risks that impact the SAP Cloud business.
- Advocate for the company’s industry leading cloud platform with U.S. federal and state government leaders and other key policy decision makers.
- Address the nexus between government affairs and SAP Cloud product and engineering initiatives with a focus on cloud data regionalization, digital sovereignty, portability, data privacy, telecommunications and sustainability.
The Director of U.S. Government Affairs, Cloud Policy for the U.S. will be the principal face of SAP among U.S. federal and state government officials on cloud, telecommunications and sustainability public policies in the United States. The Director will have an important task in contributing to cloud, sustainability and telecommunications policies in a highly political, complex and fast-paced environment. We are looking for an outgoing, competitive individual who will engage policy makers, business decision makers and business influencers to broaden awareness SAP cloud technology; promote a fair, open and competitive market; identify and create competitive opportunities for its adoption. The role’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Define, implement and lead SAP Cloud’s U.S. public policy and government affairs objectives at the federal and state government levels.
- Represent SAP Cloud’s positions directly, in partnership with SAP colleagues, industry associations and other industry organizations.
- Work collaboratively within a global team to develop public policy strategies and positions for SAP Cloud including the creation of materials supporting advocacy on cloud, sustainability and telecommunications policy positions.
- Identify, assess and address regulatory challenges to SAP Cloud’s business objectives in key regulated industries as well as the U.S. Public Sector market in partnership with SAP Cloud and public policy colleagues.
- Collaborate with SAP Cloud business units to ensure alignment between SAP Cloud business priorities and public policy activities and goals.
- Identify and pursue opportunities for SAP Cloud to address U.S. federal and state government challenges and opportunities while also working with trade associations, industry partners, non-profit groups and other allies to promote and build support for SAP Cloud’s public policy positions.
- Build relationships with U.S. federal and State policymakers to showcase SAP Cloud services and innovations.
- Review Federal and State procurement legislation and regulations, including ITAR, export controls, FEDRAMP and other rules related to enterprise cloud services which impact SAP’s ability to sell into the U.S. Public Sector market.
- Provide guidance and other support to U.S. Public Sector and Government Affairs teams to in the areas of cloud data regionalization, data sovereignty, data portability, data privacy, telecommunications and sustainability.
- Work collaboratively across SAP to develop Cloud policy positions relating to cloud data regionalization, digital sovereignty, portability, data privacy, telecommunications and sustainability that align with SAP Cloud’s business.
- Prepare materials for senior executive team including position papers, policy briefings, presentations, and other materials related to government actions.
- Participate in political events as a representative of SAP America PAC.
- Represent SAP at external events, meetings and conferences as needed.
- Collect and share policy and intelligence on government activities, recommend and drive advocacy strategies and tactics which will drive value.
- Ensure compliance of lobbying and political activities with all federa, state and local laws / regulations and SAP’s Code of Business Conduct.
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
Bachelor’s degree required; Prior federal government experience, public policy and/or lobbying and advocacy background required.
- 7+ years related work experience in or with the U.S. federal government, and/or government affairs or industry external relations.
- Expertise in policy areas of cloud, telecommunications and sustainability.
- B.A. degree in political science, public policy, or related field.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Credibility/ability and experience in influencing policy debates.
- The ability to listen and discern what is being said verbally and through other communication which conveys deeper messages or issues.
- High level of self-motivation and customer focus with an acute understanding of business drivers and principles.
- The ability to influence policy decisions at all levels of government on behalf of SAP’s businesses.
- Experience in public policy decision-making, relationship building, and communications. An understanding of U.S. legislative process, including the roles and decision-making processes of the Executive Agencies, U.S. Senate, the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. state governments.
- Experience advocating before Congress and/or the Executive Branch on behalf of corporations, trades associations, or other interest group preferred.
- Experience with government agencies and the Congressional oversight process.
- Established relationships on Capitol Hill, at key Executive Branch agencies and with U.S. state governments.
- The ability to persuasively communicate complex concepts at the highest level of government.
- The ability to work across functions with both internal and external stakeholders.
- A strict adherence and appreciation of ethics and compliance laws, regulations, and internal requirements.
The successful candidate will have:
- Excellent communications skills (written and oral).
- Proven creative problem-solving history, ability to work well collaboratively and under pressure.
- Outstanding leadership and professional presence.
- Highly motivated self-starter, results orientated and must enjoy a fast-paced environment.
- Team player and willingness to pitch in when necessary.
- Keen attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- A strong record of reliability and the ability to develop new and creative ideas.
- An exemplary performance record and a clear reputation for ethical conduct.
- Outstanding people skills and a strong substantive ability to converse on complex public policy.
- A keen sense of protocol and the ability to work comfortably and effectively with top level government officials and with the senior leadership of SAP.
- The ability to be a quick study — someone who can quickly learn the company’s issues and the business community’s perspective on them.
WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM US
Success is what you make it. At SAP, we help you make it your own. A career at SAP can open many doors for you. If you’re searching for a company that’s dedicated to your ideas and individual growth, recognizes you for your unique contributions, fills you with a strong sense of purpose, and provides a fun, flexible and inclusive work environment – apply now.
SAP’S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
To harness the power of innovation, SAP invests in the development of its diverse employees. We aspire to leverage the qualities and appreciate the unique competencies that each person brings to the company.
SAP is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with SAP and are in need of accommodation or special assistance to navigate our website or to complete your application, please send an e-mail with your request to Recruiting Operations Team (Americas: Careers.NorthAmerica@sap.com or Careers.LatinAmerica@sap.com, APJ: Careers.APJ@sap.com, EMEA: Careers@sap.com). Requests for reasonable accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability:
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their age, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-04