Director, U.S. Government Relations & Advocacy
The Alliance for Regenerative Medicine (ARM) is the leading international advocacy
organization dedicated to realizing the promise of regenerative medicines and
advanced therapies. ARM promotes legislative, regulatory and reimbursement
initiatives to advance this innovative and transformative sector, which includes cell
therapies, gene therapies and tissue-based therapies. Early products to market
have demonstrated profound, durable and potentially curative benefits that are
already helping thousands of patients worldwide, many of whom have no other
viable treatment options. Hundreds of additional product candidates contribute to a
robust pipeline of potentially life-changing regenerative medicines and advanced
therapies. In its 11-year history, ARM has become the global voice of the sector,
representing the interests of 370+ members worldwide, including small and large
companies, academic research institutions, major medical centers and patient
groups. To learn more, visit: www.alliancerm.org
This is an exciting opportunity for the right professional to step into a new,
important and high-profile role to advance ARM’s policy, political and advocacy
The Director, US Public Affairs & Advocacy will report to the Senior Vice President of
Global Public Affairs and collaborate with her to develop, drive and tactically
execute ARM’s market access public affairs strategy – including government
relations, policy and advocacy. The Director will lead ARM’s Government Affairs and
Market Access & Value Committees, engaging regularly with the key companies and
non-profit organizations driving the sector forward.
• Advance ARM policy positions among key US stakeholders, including
Congress, the White House, CMS, and state government officials in
collaboration with the SVP of Global Public Affairs.
• Enhance ARM’s reputation as the global voice of the cell & gene therapy
sector through proactive expert stakeholder engagement.
• Serve as ARM’s lead lobbyist and manage ARM’s US Market Access &
Government Relations Committees focusing on policy development and
• Be a regular presence on Capitol Hill, lobbying for ARM’s priorities and serve
as key point-of-contact for Members of Congress and their staffs.
• Oversee ARM’s political giving strategy in collaboration with the SVP of Global
Public Affairs. This includes raising money for the PAC and working with the
Director, U.S. Government
Relations & Advocacy
• Partner with the US Director of Regulatory, the European Director of Market
Access & Value and the Director of Public Affairs (global media) to ensure the
consistent and sustained execution of ARM’s integrated global public affairs
• Collaborate with the SVP, Global Public Affairs & Manager, State Public Affairs
to run state campaigns that advance ARM’s US market access goals.
• Draft policy positions, briefing documents, decks, reports and other
• Engage regularly with ARM member organizations and their government
relations and market access teams.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
• 15+ years’ experience as an effective DC healthcare and/or biotech
government relations lead and lobbyist. Will consider qualified individuals
who have worked in other regulated sectors but preference is in
healthcare/biotech. Previous in-house, corporate experience is a strong plus.
• Familiarity and experience working on market access issues and policy a
• Demonstrated experience executing integrated strategic public affairs
campaigns comprising government affairs, advocacy and policy. Experience
running state-focused public affairs campaigns a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to strategically assess developing policy opportunities
and risks and effectively counsel ARM colleagues.
• Seeking energetic, go-getter – accomplished in seeing around corners &
making things happen. Team player who lives and breathes collaboration.
• Adept at translating complex healthcare terminology into easily
understandable information for policymakers.
• Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining relationships with
relevant stakeholders at the federal and state levels.
• Exhibits calm under pressure and when working against deadlines.
• Demonstrates highly professional demeanor and excellent inter- personal
skills; experienced working with political stakeholders.
• Experience partnering with vendors, consultants and agencies.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
• BS/BA required; MS/MA/MBA preferred.
THIS JOB IS IDEAL FOR SOMEONE WHO IS:
• People-oriented: enjoys interacting with people and working on group
• Adaptable/flexible: enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in
• Detail-oriented: would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger
• Autonomous/Independent: enjoys working with little direction
• Innovative: prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require
• High stress tolerance: thrives in a high-pressure environment
• 401(k), 401(k) matching
• Dental insurance
• Disability insurance
• Vision insurance
• Health insurance, health savings account
• Parental leave
• Professional development assistance
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-10