Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, U.S. Policy, Government Affairs
The Director, U.S. Policy will identify and analyze key U.S. federal public policy issues related to patient coverage and access in the Medicare Part D program that could have a significant impact on AbbVie, and lead the development of company-wide policy solutions and recommendations to address them. Working closely with other colleagues on the Government Affairs team, the Director will oversee consultants and systems that track and monitor legislation, regulations, policies, and federal government actions that impact the Medicare Part D program. The Director will lead evaluation of policy and guide the creation of policy recommendations, to ensure a one-AbbVie approach and communicate analyses and information on changes in policies and other significant developments to all relevant GA team members and key internal AbbVie stakeholders.
- Lead research and analysis of legislative, policy, and regulatory developments that have an effect on the pharmaceutical industry, and specifically AbbVie and its products, in the Medicare Part D program. Including, identifying public policy trends that could impact AbbVie and leading the development of options for consideration in setting AbbVie public policy positions. Draft policy options in conjunction with internal AbbVie stakeholders and ensure positions support key Medicare Part D business objectives.
- Lead development and delivery of materials and analyses that clearly and accurately convey public policy trends and developments related to Medicare Part D to members of the Policy & Analytics, Federal & State Government Affairs, and Therapeutic Area Strategies teams, and to internal AbbVie stakeholders as appropriate.
- Create policy materials such as talking points, policy papers, analyses of reports and policy developments, create legislative language to support government relations colleagues, and support the Federal & State Government affairs team in driving adoption of AbbVie priorities and policy positions related to Medicare Part D.
- Serve as point of contact with Government Affairs and other corporate functions in coordinating Medicare Part D policy development. Work through the Therapeutic Area Strategies team to understand brand strategies and incorporate key insights into policy analyses and development. Ensure all relevant Government Affairs team members are kept informed of developments.
- With the GA Therapeutic Area Strategies and Federal & State Government Affairs teams, build a network of industry partners, non-profit groups, and others to support Medicare Part D policies advocated by AbbVie.
- Represent AbbVie in external policy-setting discussions as needed and position AbbVie as an industry thought leader on key topics.
Implement and coordinate policy projects as directed. Direct the development of analysis and other initiatives by consultants and think tanks.
- Ensure policy proposals support AbbVie business objectives and align with Government Affairs policies at the federal level, in the states, and globally. Manage program budgets and direct policy consultants.
Internally, the position will work across Government Affairs and business functions to drive development of policy positions. Externally it will work with consultants, third party groups, and peer companies.
- Seven to ten years’ experience in progressively more responsible positions. Candidate must possess significant experience in the public policy arena with knowledge of government affairs, public policy, and/or the law. Relevant experience in health care with a particular focus on the Medicare Part D prescription drug benefit and other related programs (e.g., the 340B program) preferred as well as an understanding of the role government agencies play in health policy.
- Candidate must possess strong analytical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills, the ability to speak and write persuasively and with clarity, strong organizational skills, flexibility and adaptability to changing requirements, resourcefulness, strong attention to detail, a proven track record of being able to work under deadlines, and an ability to work collaboratively in a fluid organizational environment.
- They will be a creative, self-starter, flexible and entrepreneurial thinker capable of integrating business functions and driving consensus behind a common policy both internally and externally.
- Must be an individual who works well in a team environment and enjoys working in a collegial, yet fast-paced culture. Must be able to work collaboratively with business leaders and other internal stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field such as health care administration, political science, public administration or policy required. Advance degree preferred (e.g., MPP, MPA, JD, MPH, etc.).
- Candidates must also have comprehensive knowledge of all Microsoft Office applications.
- Domestic travel (20 percent) required.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
Significant Work Activities: N/A
Travel: Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Type: Experienced
Job posted: 2023-05-01