Director, US Communications & Public Affairs
At Hikma, we’re helping to shape a healthier world that enriches all of our communities. Simply stated, we put better health within reach, for millions of people every day.
Hikma was founded on our dedication to transforming people’s lives by providing them with access to high-quality affordable medicines. We develop, manufacture and market a broad range of generic and branded medicines across the US, the Middle East, North Africa and Europe. We have built a strong and profitable business with 8,500 employees, 29 manufacturing facilities and seven research and development centers across more than 50 countries. Since our founding 40 years ago, we have grown into a $2 billion global pharmaceuticals company, with more than $1.2 billion in annual US sales.
Hikma is one of the top generic medication providers in the US, offering both oral solid and injectable pharmaceuticals across a range of therapeutic categories including respiratory, oncology, pain management and many others. We currently employ more than 2,000 people in our state-of-the-art manufacturing and distribution sites around the country.
We are known for our integrity, excellence, respect and transparency. We want to have a positive impact on all those our work touches – the people who use our medicines, our customers, suppliers, our fellow employees and the wider community – and we reflect this care in everything we do.
The Director of US Communications and Public Affairs will help lead and execute Hikma’s regional communications and thought leadership strategy to support the expansion of the Company’s pharmaceuticals business in the United States.
The successful candidate will report to the Senior Director of US Communications and Public Affairs and will also serve as a significant contributor to Hikma’s Global Corporate Affairs team.
The Director will work closely and collaboratively with senior US business leadership to develop and implement communication strategies that will have the greatest impact in building Hikma’s positive reputation, thought leadership, partnerships and business opportunities the US market.
The Director will also have responsibility for ensuring consistent and appropriate implementation of global initiatives and messages within the US market, as well as regional external communications; stakeholder/media relations; public affairs/issues management; corporate brand; and, product communications.
- Develop external communications strategies that will broaden Hikma’s reputation and business opportunities, ensuring the brand is visible/well understood across the US.
- Help develop and refine Hikma’s US story/messages to ensure organizational consistency, relevancy, factual accuracy, effectiveness and understanding.
- Develop and implement marketing communications campaigns that help Hikma’s US Generics and Injectables businesses build positive reputation, new partnerships and expand their pipeline of new medicines. This includes creating communications strategies to announce major partnerships, launch significant new products, introduce new manufacturing and R&D capabilities/technologies and promote the hiring of important new talent.
- Support Hikma’s participation in major trade events and industry conferences, building visibility and interest through developing communications/announcement strategies and arranging media coverage/backgrounders and appropriate speaking engagements.
- Direct external communications in Hikma’s three major US locations: Eatontown, NJ, Cherry Hill, NJ and Columbus, OH. This includes promoting Hikma’s business operations and results, its positive impact and contributions to these local communities, and managing emergent external issues/crises.
- Direct/execute Hikma’s US external thought leadership efforts including op-ed development/placement, securing select visible speaking platforms and related media relations/news coverage.
- Cultivate and develop relationships with reporters, editors and producers across major business and important trade news media, and, place stories that build Hikma’s reputation as a leading US and global pharmaceutical company that brings better health within reach for millions of people.
- Create and share externally a steady stream of newsworthy Hikma information – including sharing of semi-annual financial results and all major business news and developments.
- Plan for and manage company’s response to day-to-day media inquiries and emergent crises/issues.
- Develop messages and oversee company’s external positioning in relation to a range of pharmaceutical and Company-specific issues including drug shortages, use of Hikma’s medicines in lethal injection, drug pricing, opioid use/addiction prevention, etc.
- Work closely with Global Investor Relations to supply them with US Hikma news, facts, business developments and other information that may be helpful to them in telling our story to investors.
- Develop external events and communications strategies to advance Hikma’s US Corporate Social Responsibility activities as part of Hikma’s global CSR initiatives and in support of the Company’s sponsorship/partnership with Direct Relief.
- Work closely with HR to promote Hikma externally as a “US employer of choice” among potential employee candidates.
- 10+ years of strategic corporate communications and US government affairs experience that includes a blend of reputation building and thought leadership, media relations, and issues/policy advocacy in a corporate or communications consulting agency setting.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Pharmaceutical or life sciences industry experience preferred (but not required).
- Experienced in developing/implementing successful high-profile communications campaigns within highly regulated industries.
- Highly skilled in using traditional media and electronic/online communications vehicles and channels to reach and influence target audiences.
- Experienced in coaching, developing and supporting senior leaders as spokespersons
- Creativity in using communications to influence audiences to desired actions and outcomes.
- Able to influence and guide without direct authority.
- Strong team player.
- Exceptional writer and content creator.
- Demonstrated strong leadership, organizational and project management skills.
- Disciplined organizational skills in all aspects of job performance with strong attention to detail.
- Strong presentation, positioning and editing skills.
- Strategic thinking.
- Leadership gravitas and experience.
- Collaboration across global communication team and US business functions.
- Skilled in effective communications use of technology and new/social media.
- Ambition, assertiveness and professional maturity.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-08-11