Director, US Government Relations
The Director of Federal Government Relations for Samsung Electronics America, Inc., will proactively build relationships with Democratic Members of the U.S. House of Representatives and the Senate, sense opportunities and risk and identify key legislative opportunities to drive the Samsung strategy and engagement at the highest levels in the U.S. government.
• The Director will report directly to the Vice President of Government Relations and work to develop relationship building activities and opportunities, including site visits, PAC fundraisers, events and advocacy campaigns.
• The Director will help coordinate extensive new programming for events and activities in the new Samsung Solutions Center, which may include meet and greets with new Members of Congress, hosting events with Congressional coalitions, caucuses or industry partners, and receptions for Congressional staff and Members in partnership with other teams within U.S. Public Affairs.
• The Director will attend fundraisers for federal candidates funded through the Samsung America PAC.
o This includes planning and executing a plan for supporting key federal candidates in collaboration with the Vice President of Government Relations.
• The Director will be involved in significantly increased engagement with new Democratic members of the House and Senate.
• Collaborate with the Vice President of Government Relations to help execute the team’s legislative agenda.
• Manage day-to-day external stakeholder relationships and coordinate with Samsung’s Public Policy team on priorities.
• Alert senior management, public policy, strategic communications, and business channel staff about new legislation and its potential impact on Samsung.
• Provide increased support for the government sales team at the federal, state and local political levels and with Administration relationships.
• Help engage with Governors in states where Samsung has a significant footprint or business presence.
• Sense key legislative opportunities and risks for the company and alert internal stakeholders about them while identifying possible solutions to potential challenges.
• Support and help drive participation in Samsung’s PAC, in coordination with the Strategy & Operations team.
• Help represent Samsung at trade association, government, coalition and other industry stakeholder meetings.
• Liaise and collaborate with the Public Policy and Strategic Communications teams to improve the legislative environment and to help enhance Samsung’s reputation in Washington.
Role and Responsibilities
- Minimum of 8 years in advocacy role, preferably in tech and some Hill experience with an emphasis on Democratic relationships in the House and Senate.
- Expert knowledge and experience in how the government works and the forces driving regulations and legislation.
- Solid knowledge of Samsung products, services, solutions, businesses and strategies.
- Strong command of technology policy and legislative issues.
- Demonstrated ability to establish solid working relationships with various internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a team environment, provide routine reporting on projects and assignments, and partner with other cross-functional staff.
- Excellent leadership and communications skills
- Some domestic and international travel involved – approximately 25%
- Bachelor’s degree, with juris doctor or graduate degree preferred.
Samsung Electronics America provides Equal Employment Opportunity for all individuals regardless of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
Skills and Qualifications
Job posted: 2019-07-24