Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director US Government Relations
Role Value Proposition:
The Director, U.S. Government Relations will oversee MetLife’s Federal PACs, assist with legislative and regulatory research and work with MetLife’s Government Relations team on a broad range of issues. Based in Washington, D.C. this candidate will help the team manage all aspects of MetLife’s federal PACs and assist with the day to day execution of advocacy before the U.S. government (Congress, Executive Offices, and Agencies), and key third parties (associations, think tanks, non-governmental organizations, etc.). The incumbent will provide support to advance the company’s public policy agenda by helping to design, curate, and coordinate Government Relations’ strategic outreach, messaging, and engagement with government officials and their staff, third-party allies, and industry partners on specific, high priority initiatives. During busy policy cycles, the candidate may be asked to track, communicate on, and where appropriate, serve as an advocate on specific legislative issues.
- Manage all aspects of MetLife’s federal employee-funded PACs, including managing the daily operations and accounting, processing of PAC receipts and disbursements, completing on-time and accurate LD-s and LD 203 filings, managing relationships with fundraising, compliance, and other PAC related vendors, managing MetLife’s PAC solicitation, and serving as MetLife’s primary liaison to the MetLife PAC Board.
- Assist Government Relations with the day-to-day execution of advocacy before the U.S. government (Congress, Executive Offices, and Agencies), and key third parties (associations, think tanks, non-governmental organizations, etc.). This includes helping with research, briefs, presentations, and other key communications the Government Relations team may need to produce for internal and external audiences.
- Assist in the timely delivery of communications to internal stakeholders regarding policy developments that could impact the business to ensure an opportunity to influence outcomes. Excellent communications skills are essential.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 5+ of relevant government affairs experience, candidates will have a keen understanding of Capitol Hill and the political process.
- Experience managing a federal PAC is required.
- Experience in government and public affairs, with proven relationship and coalition building skills.
- A team player with a proactive approach to people and issues management. Must partner with others across the organization with candor and transparency.
- An understanding of compliance laws regulating political activity, in particular those that govern PAC contributions to federal candidates.
- Ability to manage and operate a federal PAC budget that adheres to MetLife’s PAC giving guidelines.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Highly self-motivated work ethic: demonstrating sound judgment, trustworthiness, initiative, and an ability to manage multiple priorities with a sense of urgency.
- Experience in communications or public affairs that could help MetLife shape it’s story with key audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Candidate would ideally possess quantitative and qualitative research skills and the ability to engage audiences with creative communications.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world’s leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31, 2021. We are ranked #46 on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to Fortune magazine’s 2021 list of the “World’s Most Admired Companies.”
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For further information about how to request a reasonable accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link below.
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
Job posted: 2022-01-05