Director, US Medical Affairs Policy
AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research-driven biopharmaceutical company committed to developing innovative advanced therapies for some of the world’s most complex and critical conditions. The company’s mission is to use its expertise, dedicated people and unique approach to innovation to markedly improve treatments across four primary therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, virology and neuroscience. In more than 75 countries, AbbVie employees are working every day to advance health solutions for people around the world. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn.
Lead US Medical Affairs strategic and tactical engagement efforts around policy at the federal, state and private payer levels by 1) tracking policy trends to identify opportunities for Medical Affairs education and engagement, 2) developing and executing strategy and tactics for medical affairs engagement on key policy issues for AbbVie, 3) identifying insights and trends from health care stakeholders to inform cross-functional policy strategies, and 4) coordinating with internal stakeholders to ensure engagement strategy aligns with overall business and policy objectives.
- Monitor and track trends in federal, state and private payer / access decision maker policy to identify issues and opportunities for medical affairs team engagement.
- Serve as subject matter expert on policy matters to the medical affairs organization, developing appropriate communication materials to ensure medical affairs teams are educated on latest developments in policy environment.
- Develop and execute strategy and tactics for medical affairs engagement on policy issues that are aligned with business objectives, including opportunities to proactively shape public policy and react to policy proposals, and explore data generation and analysis or payer collaboration opportunities that can support policy-focused medical affairs strategies.
- Develop and execute process to obtain, analyze, and leverage field team insights and health care stakeholder data (e.g. payer and provider data) to inform policy strategy. This includes collaborating across both medical affairs as well as working cross-functionally with other AbbVie stakeholders to inform broader business and policy strategic objectives.
- Partner with internal stakeholders to provide Medical Affairs perspective and to understand, inform, and co-develop AbbVie strategies and tactics related to U.S. Policy.
- Clinical background strongly preferred MD, RN, PhD, or PharmD.
- Thorough understanding of U.S. policy issues and market access environment.
- Thorough understanding of U.S. medical affairs priorities with ability to develop and execute medical affairs policy-focused strategy aligned with Abbvie priorities.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively prepare, present, and discuss internal and externally facing strategies and tactics as well as supporting materials to management, medical affairs teams, and other stakeholder groups and individuals.
- Dynamic, motivated, resourceful, and results-oriented creative thinker; problem solver.
- 15+ years of work experience ideal.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Keyboard use (greater or equal to 50% of the workday)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Job posted: 2020-05-14