Director, US Policy Communications
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Director, US Policy Communications leads efforts to build and protect the company reputation in the areas of patient access and public policy in the United States. The individual will use branded and unbranded communications strategies to proactively shape the patient access and policy environment and will serve as a strategic communications advisor to key internal partners.
Externally, the individual will be responsible for designing, building and executing US policy public affairs campaigns with media, grassroots and advocacy surround sound expertise for a number of simultaneous legislative and regulatory campaigns related to patient access at the state and federal levels. This individual will manage a team of field consultants, and will actively partner with external stakeholders through coalition efforts and will serve as the sole internal unifying agent across the company’s US public policy campaigns, ensuring media, advocacy and grassroots best practices are deployed equally across efforts. The individual will drive aligned policy stakeholder engagement strategies and will execute tactical surround sound strategies to support legislative and policy goals in real time.
Internally, the individual will be a strategic communications advisor, creating evergreen frameworks, standard operating procedures and governance around the exchange of corporate pricing, access and policy communications, policy stakeholder engagement strategies and pull through practices. This individual will identify and develop consistent approaches relating to patient access and policy thought leadership opportunities, trade association engagement opportunities to highlight the company’s work and perspectives and will contribute to the enterprise narrative around pricing, access and policy. This individual will contribute to proactive and reactive communications efforts on these issues in the United States.
The individual will contribute to workforce engagement, education, and activation on pricing, access and policy, and will contribute to policy media engagement.
The role will work closely with the United States Policy and Government Affairs (USPGA): public policy, federal government affairs and state government affairs.
- Design, build and execute patient access based public affairs campaigns at the state and federal level, in collaboration with the USPGA, market access, advocacy and media relations team. Play critical role of connecting the dots and ensuring alignment amongst internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop and refine standards and principles of engagement with external stakeholders to support patient access and policy goals. Socialize standards with USPGA and other relevant teams.
- Work with internal partners to assess the US public policy environment’s impact on government and commercial payers and identify communications surround sound opportunities to support future policy objectives.
- Partner with the regional communications and state government affairs teams to map a cohesive engagement approach for local media and stakeholders. Collaborate to support local policy campaigns. Identify storytelling opportunities with regional communications team related to policy stakeholders and engagements, separate from patient access public policy campaigns.
- Partner with Reputation team colleagues to identify impactful, patient-centered thought leadership opportunities across policy patient access efforts that reinforce BMS’s pricing, access and policy narrative.
- Create and coordinate dissemination and rollouts of corporate announcements, holding statements, narratives, frameworks and toolkits related to US pricing, access and policy across USPGA team. Advise teams with recommended communications approaches and best practices.
Internal: USPGA, US Advocacy, Regional Comms, Reputation team, market access other cross-functional support as needed
External: Third party policy partners – patient advocacy organizations, provider associations, think tanks, and individual patient/provider advocates; Media, advocacy and grassroots field consultants. State and regional trade associations.
- 8+ years of policy communications and corporate communications experience in pharmaceutical or similar highly-regulated industry
- Proven experience driving successful policy communications and public affairs initiatives
- Exceptional collaboration skills
- Strong external stakeholder engagement skills
- Superior written, presentation, facilitation and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to engage and persuade a wide variety of audiences
- Exceptional problem-solving, analytical, and decision-making skills
- Excels in fast-paced, challenging and matrixed environment.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-23