Director, US State Government Affairs
Johnson & Johnson is recruiting for a Director, US State Government Affairs to advocate at the state level, and as needed, at the local level on behalf of Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc. our operating companies, and the patients we serve in the states of Massachusetts, Maine and Rhode Island. The successful candidate must reside in one of those states.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 130 years. We embrace research and science—bringing innovation ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.
With $82.6 billion in 2020 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world’s most comprehensive and broadly-based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. There are more than 260 Johnson & Johnson operating companies employing over 132,000 people with products touching the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world. If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees, and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
RESPONSIBILITES/PRINCIPAL DUTIES (Essential Functions)
- Responsibility for representing the entire Corporation, including all Consumer, Medical Device, and Pharmaceutical sectors before a variety of administrative, regulatory, legislative, and executive levels of state government, and in some instances, local jurisdictions.
- Establish and maintain interactive contact with executive, legislative, administrative, and regulatory branches of state and local government to implement strategic plans and deliver favorable results for Johnson & Johnson, our patients and customers.
- Hold a thorough understanding of the political environment, the legislative and regulatory processes, including state budget developments within the states assigned.
- Draft and advance legislative and regulatory proposals.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with trade, professional, and allied organizations, educational institutions, organized labor and other entities/individuals who influence public policy at the state level.
- Identify, analyze, and report to J&J business legislative and regulatory issues, as well as health care trends and emerging issues, that could have a potential impact on the business, recommend and manage a course of action.
- Participate, serve and assume leadership positions on industry-related associations, steering committees, and networking organizations to protect & promote J&J interests.
- In coordination with the appropriate internal business partners, work to identify, establish, and affect policies that promote favorable coverage, reimbursement, and access to our products & services in government programs.
- Participate in internal work streams dedicated to key issues or interests of the Enterprise and to Johnson & Johnson subsidiaries.
- Implement J&J strategies and tactics to protect, promote, and positively enhance an open business climate in the formulation of legislation and regulations by state and local entities.
- Maintain office complete with pertinent records, files and resource materials assuring proper business activities in reporting, planning, and advising regarding state governmental activities.
- Adhere to J&J health care compliance requirements and all applicable government lobbying
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education
- A minimum of 10 years of business- related experience
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in government and/or the public policy arena
- Prior experience as a lobbyist at the state or federal level strongly preferred
- Exposure to public policy issues facing the states of Massachusetts, Maine and Rhode Island
- Background in drafting and advancing legislative and regulatory proposals
- Experience leading a team and being a team player in multiple product/public policy disciplines
- Proven ability to approach complex business issues with a solution-oriented, strategic focus
- Influencing skills and ability to communicate complex information in a manner that is understandable to those with little or no knowledge of the issue (s)
- Demonstrated record of excellence in execution
- Ability to process a significant amount of health product and public/private health care system information, and apply this knowledge to the legislative and regulatory arena
- Success in applying knowledge of facility infrastructure, tax, economic development, and work-force public policy issues in the legislative and regulatory arena
- Self-starter with the ability to prioritize;excellent oral and written communication skills.
- This position will require 50% domestic travel with the primary work located in Massachusetts, Maine and Rhode Island. Occasional international travel might occur.
- Advanced degree such as Masters or JD
- A degree with a focus in Business, Public Administration, Public Policy or Political Science.
- State Affairs experience
- Health care industry knowledge, including major legislative & regulatory trends, companies, payers and markets.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-10-11