Director, Vaccines External Communications
The Director, Vaccines External Communications will be primarily focused on global and U.S. external communications for COMIRNATY®, Pfizer and BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine but will also support other vaccine priorities.
The person in this role will partner closely with the Senior Director, Vaccines External Communications and other team members, as well as agency partners. The role requires close liaison and partnership with multiple teams and senior leaders within Corporate Affairs and the Vaccines Business Unit.
This is an exciting role for someone who thrives on high profile, high stakes and high volume external communications activities and for someone with experience working closely with senior leaders across a large, highly matrixed organization.
This is a role for a proficient communicator with lots of creative energy who is both a strategic thinker and a doer.
- Provide strategic counsel and develop and execute fresh and original communications plans to achieve the goals of the Vaccines business.
- Develop and execute thought leadership efforts.
- Work in close collaboration with internal and external partners.
- Conceptualize and oversee the creation and production of multimedia projects.
- Partner with Content Strategy and Engagement and Global Media Relations teams on targeting, content development, and engagement opportunities.
- Manage issues and rapid-response communications.
- Manage projects, budgets and agencies.
- Track and measure communications metrics.
- Minimum required: Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of experience in communications and demonstrated skills in developing, managing and delivering communications strategies and plans. Experience in a corporate or other large, global, complex organization desirable. Experience in biopharmaceutical or life sciences communications a plus.
- Track record of providing strategic counsel to senior corporate executives and working comfortably with senior executives and across cross-functional teams.
- Proven track record of leading, developing and delivering effective, creative communications to advance business goals.
- Strong writing, editing, and project management experience; track record of reliable and timely communication planning and execution.
- Demonstrated understanding of how communications strategy connects to and advances business strategy.
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity, and strategic, analytical and leadership capabilities.
- Knowledge of and expertise in current and emerging social media and digital communications and trends.
- Proven ability to work effectively and inclusively in teams with diverse internal and external stakeholders; influence, negotiation and stakeholder management skills.
- Familiarity with healthcare and biopharmaceuticals industries.
- Must care about making a positive difference in people’s health and lives.
- Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- Mastery of overall communications skills including communications strategy; communications plans targeted to audiences; researching/writing/editing messaging documents, talking points, editorial features, scripts and other materials; oversight of multimedia production; measurement and reporting
- Stakeholder management, influence and persuasiveness, tact and discretion.
- Global sensibility; attunement to cultural differences and global communications logistics including tactics for remote colleague engagement.
- Accuracy, attention to detail, and follow through.
- Ability to lead and coordinate multiple projects on rapidly moving deadlines.
- Client focus, professionalism, good listening and well-developed interpersonal skills.
- A knack for following, synthesizing and simplifying complex business, scientific, medical and technical information for clear communications to cut through clutter and jargon.
- Problem-solving mindset and bias for action.
- Ability to thrive in a complex, highly matrixed global corporate environment.
- Collaborative spirit and energy.
- Strong verbal and presentation skills; ability to convey complex ideas.
- Strong interpersonal skills to quickly build relationships and credibility.
- Flexibility, self-awareness, good attitude/humor, perseverance, ability to navigate ambiguity and thrive in change, and a can-do attitude.
- Creativity and playfulness, with a willingness to test new ideas.
Other Job Details:
Last Date to Apply: 10/8/21
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider’s name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Public Affairs & Communication#LI-PFE
Job posted: 2021-09-28