Director/Vice President, Policy
Directly reporting to the CAPH President and CEO, the Director/Vice President of Policy* is responsible
for developing, leading and orchestrating the organization’s policy agenda. This position requires
detailed knowledge of CAPH’s and SNI’s strategies, goals, processes and interdependencies in order to
effectively and efficiently develop policies and execute legislative and other initiatives that support the
top priorities of the organization. This position is also responsible for participating on and/or leading
internal project teams, and building external relationships with other key policy stakeholders, such as
peer organization policy analysts/leaders and member health system staff.
The Director/Vice President, Policy will understand and embrace the organizational values—
• dedication to the mission of ensuring equal access to high quality health care for all,
• collaboration, and
*CAPH is seeking to fill one position for a policy leader at either the Director or Vice President level, and
will make the determination based on the overall candidate pool and the individual’s level of
This position is classified as exempt.
CAPH/SNI values a diverse team. Qualified applicants of all races, people with disabilities, and veterans
are invited to apply.
The Director/Vice President, Policy position encompasses the following responsibilities, which may
expand and evolve depending on the individual’s experience and expertise:
• Shape, direct and orchestrate CAPH’s policy agenda at the state and federal levels, in order
to ensure that the organization is meeting its strategic priorities. Such leadership requires
the ability to conduct and lead complex analyses of health policies and legislation in order to
develop policy recommendations and positions.
• As a leader of highly skilled individuals with specific expertise, identify effective ways to
structure teams to develop and advance policy ideas and proposals
• With input from internal and external colleagues, continually assess the status of our policy
positions vis-à-vis the external health care policy landscape. Based on these assessments,
develop recommendations to the President & CEO regarding the advancement and/or
refinement of our positions.
• Working closely with the Senior Vice President of External Affairs, identify and synthesize
connections between the policy and political landscapes, and help shape and execute
advocacy efforts with the State, Legislature, Congress, and key stakeholders on policy and
• Build effective working relationships and represent the organization with members, key
stakeholder groups, legislative and administrative staff and statewide coalitions
• A Vice President would supervise the Associate Director of Policy, providing guidance on the
content of their work and supporting professional growth
• Assume leadership and contribute to a variety of organizational initiatives and projects,
including the planning and hosting of the CAPH/SNI annual conference.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
• An advanced degree in public policy, public health, public administration or closely related field is
• 5+ years of health policy experience for the Director position; 10+ years of health policy experience
for Vice President position
• Demonstrated ability to develop and advance public policy proposals, including the integration of
policy, political assessments, and strategic implications in order to arrive at recommended positions
and/or courses of action for the organization and member systems.
• Excellent analytical skills; ability to analyze data and legislation and health policy proposals at state
and federal levels.
• Strong capacity to think strategically and creatively to advance a public policy agenda in the political
• Sound understanding of health policy in California, particularly as it relates to underserved and lowincome populations.
• Knowledge of national and/or California health policy issues highly desired.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong ability to build effective relationships and represent CAPH in a wide variety of policy and
• Management experience highly desired, particularly in leading teams to meeting and exceeding
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a small, hard-working office
Interested candidates, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the job title included in the subject line.
CAPH and SNI are Equal Opportunity Employers with a strong commitment to racial, cultural and ethnic diversity. Persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job posted: 2021-04-07