Division Chair, Public Affairs – Consumer Communications – 128529BR
The Division Chair, Public Affairs is responsible for development of the vision, strategy and performance of their Division, location or initiative working collaboratively with their peers, organizational leadership and colleagues in the Department of Marketing and Executive Office. Their primary responsibilities include:
- Planning and implementation of all operational and strategic plans, ensuring the effective and efficient management of Division, location or initiative resources including Public Affairs staff, appropriate agencies, contractors, vendors and supplemental employees.
Division Chairs will:
- Formulate and ensure successful implementation of a comprehensive strategy within their area of responsibility, describing alignment with strategies developed by the Department of Marketing and the Executive Office.
- Counsel, guide and motivate directors, managers and staff in the Division, location or initiative to ensure a strong level of staff engagement and career growth and progression.
- Mentor and develop team members to further Department objectives.
- Manage the communication of information within the Division, location and initiative and across Department, as well as to the other Mayo Clinic and Mayo Clinic Health System locations.
- Proactively lead and encourage diversity of thought and experiences in expressions of Mayo Clinic’s voice and brand; dimensions include but are not limited to race/ethnicity, language, sexual orientation and gender identity and military and disability status.
- Manage reporting mechanisms and infrastructure in order to enhance efficiency and effectiveness in the Division and within Public Affairs and in relationship with the Department of Marketing and the Executive Office.
- Establish and enforce processes and procedures for the Division, location or initative.
- Ensure alignment of all Division, location or initiative functions with enterprise strategic planning priorities of Bold. Forward.
- Develop and maintain benchmark criteria to measure the performance of Division, location or initiative activities.
- Participate in leadership groups and activities at the enterprise level, ensuring communication to support strategic vision, operational priorities and institutional direction.
- Serve as a cultural role model and represent an environment of empowerment and accountability.
- Establish and manage Division, location or initiative budget to align to organization and Department priorities, proactively measure performance of investments and reallocate funds as necessary.
- Lead the team, providing clear expectations of performance, coaching and regular performance evaluations. In cases where chairs have “dotted line” relationships to staff, work collaboratively with the chairs who have direct responsibility for supervision of team members to ensure these areas of focus are successfully addressed.
The Division Chair, Consumer Communications leads the Division of Consumer Communications, including: Social and Digital Innovation, News and News Delivery and Media Relations.
This position will also:
* Establish and manage Division budget to align to institution and Department priorities, proactively measure performance of investments and reallocate funds as necessary.
* Directly manage team, providing clear expectations of performance, coaching and regular performance evaluations.
* Build and maintain strategic media relationships to extend the reach of Mayo Clinic.
* Formulate strategies to build and strengthen reputation by drastically increasing the reach of Mayo Clinic domestically and globally while supporting the positioning of the organization.
* Ensure strong alignment of the Social and Digital Innovation strategy and appropriate engagement of the Department in the development and implementation of Mayo Clinic’s overall digital strategy.
* Ensure that strategies are in place to further Mayo Clinic’s reputation as a category of one in healthcare.
- Master’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Business, Marketing or related field.
- Ten years of leadership experience, preferably in the field of Public Affairs, Marketing or a healthcare institution.
- Strong leadership (consensus building, team facilitation, motivation and diversity advocacy), business, analytical, oral and written communication, presentation skills, and superior interpersonal skills to facilitate effective relationships both within and outside of Mayo Clinic.
- Solid organizational and project management skills; strategic judgment; track record in building positive, cross-functional relationships with both physicians and administrators.
- Political savvy and the ability to function effectively in a complex and often ambiguous environment, with consensus-style operation that expects and promotes teamwork.
- Proven ability to effectively manage change using change management techniques and methodology.
- Requires extensive knowledge of public affairs, public relations and the health care industry.
For this particular position, additional experience and qualifications include:
* Demonstrated success in Public Relations, Social Media Owned Media or Media Relations is desired.
* Demonstrated aptitude to build strong and significant earned media relationships at regions/national/international levels.
* Proven record of formulating and implementing successful content strategies that include partnerships with outside agencies and organizations.
* Expertise in social media and integration of social media strategies with other digital platforms.
Mayo Clinic is located in the heart of downtown Rochester, Minnesota, a vibrant, friendly city that provides a highly livable environment for more than 34,000 Mayo staff and students. The city is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the United States because of its affordable cost of living, healthy lifestyle, excellent school systems and exceptionally high quality of life.
To apply for this position, please use the following URL:
Job posted: 2020-01-27