Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Editorial and Marketing Content Specialist
About McDaniel College:
McDaniel College, recognized nationally among “Colleges that Change Lives” and U.S. News and World Report top-tier liberal arts colleges, is a four-year private college of the liberal arts and sciences offering more than 60 undergraduate programs of study, including dual and student-designed majors, plus 20 highly regarded graduate programs. At McDaniel College we value our employees by offering our full-time employees tuition remission, 403B retirement accounts, paid time off, medical insurance, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and paid maternity and parental leave. For more information about the college’s benefits, please click here to review the 2023 benefits guidebook.
Click here to see how McDaniel College employees impact the lives of students.
The Editorial and Marketing Content Specialist will play a critical role in executing high-quality, persuasive, engaging written content for the college and its advancement efforts through a variety of print and digital media. A writer with a vibrant voice and a knack for telling donor, volunteer, and student impact stories, this individual will report to the Senior Editor & Writer and work closely with the Office of Communications and Marketing to further the college’s philanthropic and constituent engagement efforts. This individual will be a versatile storyteller who will collaborate with the Office of Institutional Advancement to produce high-quality content that conveys key information and inspires support and enthusiasm for college priorities, specifically by alumni, parents, friends, corporations, and foundations. This role is best suited to writers who are able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, enjoy creative and collaborative work, and are interested in exploring a wide range of writing styles. This is a full-time position paying $50K-$52K.
- Identify and tell engaging donor, volunteer, and student impact stories via multiple platforms of those who comprise the community that makes McDaniel a diverse, student-centered college that changes lives;
- Conduct interviews with alumni, students, donors, and friends;
- Assist in the crafting of annual communications plans, specifically overseeing the plan for the Office of Institutional Advancement with a focus on reaching specific donor and alumni audiences;
- Develop and manage the core campaign messaging content, materials, and platforms for dissemination of messaging;
- Work with graphic design staff to create customizable advancement communications templates as needed;
- Work with communications and advancement staff on a monthly communication to alumni, donors, friends, and parents related to college updates, impact of donor gifts, college achievements, etc.;
- Develop and manage content for web presence for the Institutional Advancement office and for the campaign in close partnership with the subject matter experts;
- Write a wide range of materials for the college and the Office of Institutional Advancement, including but not limited to campaign case statements, philanthropic priorities, brochures and emails, website content, marketing content (brochures, ad copy, scripts), news stories, content for The Hill magazine as needed, and alumni, student, faculty/staff, and donor profiles;
- Maintain an easy-to-access, updated archive of campaign materials for team use;
- Support Development, Donor Relations, and Alumni and Parent Engagement staff in developing personal and compelling communications for specific alumni, parent, annual giving, planned giving, major gift, and stewardship initiatives, suggesting and drafting content for the plans as needed;
- Collaborate with the website manager, photographer/videographer, and editorial team on integrated content planning for institutional communication needs that can be used and/or repurposed across the college;
- Write speeches, talking points, articles, etc., related to philanthropy, campaign progress, and volunteerism for college leadership as needed;
- Manage and report on analytics related to advancement communications via the web, email, and social media efforts;
- Contribute to the management of the editorial calendar;
- Adhere to the college’s editorial standards for quality and style, generally following Associated Press style and McDaniel-specific style guidelines;
- Occasionally review, copy edit, or proofread written content submitted by colleagues from around campus;
- Conduct thorough research and fact-checking;
- Demonstrate exemplary customer/client service at all times and work collaboratively with all campus schools, divisions and departments as well as alumni and athletics groups;
- Take initiative, imagining, proposing and executing new communications opportunities to keep the flow of content fresh and interesting;
- Attend college events as needed, including those in the evening and on weekends.
- Be a collaborative and contributing member of the team
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English, marketing, or related field.
- A minimum of 2-3 years of experience in writing and content creation for a variety of print and digital media.
- Higher education or nonprofit and fundraising experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple demanding initiatives concurrently, balancing multiple priorities, working with minimal supervision and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing content management systems and other technological communication tools and methodologies, including Adobe Suite and Microsoft Office products.
- Demonstrated ability to produce content for a wide range of audiences, in a wide range of styles across all marketing and communications channels.
- Strong understanding of the requirements of writing for web vs. print materials and ability to adapt writing for multiple platforms.
- Excellent project management skills; must be able to work collaboratively to complete projects on deadline and within budget.
- Excellent writing skills with expert attention to detail, often within tight deadlines.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented work style.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills as well as highly collaborative nature; ability to facilitate work with a wide range of individuals and groups from diverse campus departments.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely working in a normal office environment with minimal exposure to adverse conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Sitting for long periods of time.
- Viewing a computer screen for long periods of times.
- Limited lifting involved but not more than 10 pounds at a time.
McDaniel College is committed to building a diverse workforce that reflects the student body. McDaniel College, in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, does not discriminate in the recruitment, admission, and employment of students, faculty, and staff in the operation of any of its educational programs and activities. McDaniel College will not tolerate any discrimination or harassment on basis of any protected status including protective hairstyle, race, religion, color, ancestry or national origin, disability, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military status, genetic information, marital status, veteran’s status, or any other actual or perceived legally protected characteristics. For more information on the College’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, please visit https://www.mcdaniel.edu/about-us/diversity-equity-inclusion.
For a complete job description and to apply, please visit the college’s employment webpage. Completed applications must include the following: cover letter addressing position qualifications and related experience; resume; 2-3 relevant writing samples; names and contact information of three professional references; and completed job application. Review of applications begins immediately. Position remains open until filled.
Job posted: 2023-02-01